We support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide.
We work directly with individuals to help them gain the skills, confidence and connections to transform their lives and shape a better world in partnership with the UK. We support them to build networks and explore creative ideas, to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications.
Working with people in over 200 countries and territories, we are on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 202122 we reached 650 million people.
To deliver the day to day operations of the British Council libraries across both physical and digital platforms in accordance with the standards required by the British Council. To deliver excellent customer services to library customers and support the growth of the library membership, including income targets. To deliver events and activities aligned to the British Councils Cultural Engagement and business objectives.
Main accountabilities but not limited to the following:
Service and product delivery Support
- Delivers a range of customer-focused library services within agreed corporate procedures, to a high standard
- Maintenance of accurate records across a range of relevant systems (e.g. Library Management System)
- Logistical coordination and delivery of internal and external activities/ events both physical and virtual, ensuring they run smoothly and efficiently.
- Receives and responds to enquiries from/ to customers pertaining to library materials and services, with potential areas of expertise assigned to them. Able to identify when to refer more complex issues onwards
- Recognises and understands the impact of incidents arising (complaints, resourcing problems, logistical or technical difficulties) and proactively alerts team leader to any issues of concern that are likely to impact service delivery/ customer experience/ task delivery
Risk & compliance
- Follows agreed corporate risk management processes and procedures when delivering services (e.g. child protection, security policies, financial protocols, anti-fraud measures) to protect the interests of the BC and its customers at all times.
Relationship & stakeholder management
- Proactively liases with others (inside and outside the British Council) to ensure effective coordination and delivery of events, services and activities.
- Builds a wider understanding of the British Council and its operations and services across units and regions to enable effective resolution of issues, and better delivery of services.
- Finance and Resource Management
- Monitors and takes responsibility for small scale resources, cash and stock, following established procedures and ensures that equipment and materials are available and ready to use when needed
Managing Self and others
- Plans and prioritises own work activities, responding to changing requirements to ensure effective delivery of responsibilities over a daily/ weekly time horizon
- Tasks and coordinates with others (e.g. internal colleagues or external contractors/ suppliers) to complete time limited, straightforward activities within established procedures, in order to ensure efficient delivery of events and services. Monitors task completion to agreed quality and time standards.
Role specific knowledge and experience:
Minimum and essential
- Examples of knowledge might include knowledge of a sector or a professional discipline, system or process.
- 1 year or more relevant work experience preferably in a customer service environment with experience in managing customer relationships
- Knowledge of Library Management Systems (KOHA) or equivalent
- Experience delivering events
- Experience working with young people and / or diverse audiences, including children
- Knowledge of mainstream literature and/ or educational and cultural resources around English language and the Arts
Role Specific Skills
- Customer service skills
- Communication skills
- IT and IT systems literacy
- Basic record management and financial management
- Social media and basic website maintenance
Pay Band 4/H
Contract Type Indefinite contract – Local
Location Colombo, Sri Lanka
Requirements –Candidates must have the pre-existing right to live and work in Sri Lanka.
Closing Date Tuesday, 11 September 2023.
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion(EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council iscommitted to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Councils Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email [email protected]
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ASK HR email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.
Apply for this job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this posting.