Whittier Street Health Center
The Whittier Street Health Center (WSHC) seeks a full-time development professional
with a proven track record in working with a visionary CEO and key staff to strategize,
develop and implement a dynamic major gift program. The Major Gift Officer will lead
the effort to establish a sustainable annual major gift initiative while cultivating donors
for special campaigns. They will identify, steward and solicit prospects with annual
capacity to give $10,000-50,000 (with capacity of six and seven figures for periodic
WSHC has a solid base on which to build a major gift program. A dynamic new five-year
strategic plan, “Boston Health Equity Program”, is compelling, data driven with strong
outcomes-based measures and goals. As well, Whittier Street has been a leading
source of providing care to Boston’s most vulnerable communities and has received
recognition in local and national press for its exemplary mission-driven work.
A major portion of the Plan includes Philanthropy and Fund Development and
emphasizes individual donations while also seeking increases from the corporate and
foundation community. This is backed by a commitment from the CEO and Advisory
Committee President to significantly increase resources for development operations.
WSHC also enjoys a strong financial position to build upon. The Center currently raises
$1.3 million from private donations and estimates approximately $1 million from its
annual gala event this spring. (The event provides leading community prospects for
development each year and a resource for the major gift officer. It is professionally
managed by an outside contractor.)
- Work closely with the CEO and Advisory Committee to prepare them for cultivating and soliciting leadership gifts. As well, to work independently on developing one’s own portfolio of 75-100 major gift prospects.
- In tandem with the Advisory Committee, build a pipeline for prospective corporate and foundation major gifts.
- Help identify and qualify donors for leadership giving ($100,000-1,000,000) for special programs and campaigns.
- Build and oversee donor-screening activities with key staff and the Advisory Committee.
- Provide relevant data-driven donor analysis and progress reports to the CEO.
- Devise, execute and manage stewardship activities and appropriate recognition communications.
- Strong commitment to mission-driven organizations
- Several years of fund development and major donor cultivation with proven success in closing solicitations.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while also “managing up”.
- Attention to accuracy and detail in all writing and reporting.
- Ability to research independently including a fluency with data systems and experience in quickly adapting to new systems.
- Strong communication skills to integrate mission and vision while communicating organizational goals and priorities.
- Ability to provide service to a variety of stakeholders.
- A commitment to Equity with a strong understanding of, and appreciation for, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and its role within organizations.
- Ability to engender trust among colleagues, prospective donors, teammates and CEO.
- Commitment to WSHC and the task at hand in order to bring the major gift program to maturity
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $33.00 – $36.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Major Gifts: 5 years (Preferred)
- Community-based organization, specifically health center: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.