Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
In Malaysia, UNDP’s programme priorities and partnerships are defined and operationalized through the Country Programme between Government of Malaysia and UNDP to support and contribute to the development priorities and results envisioned in the 5-year Malaysia Plan. Malaysia is currently implementing the Twelfth Malaysia Plan 2021-2025 (12MP), which is anchored around three key themes namely resetting economy, strengthening security, wellbeing and inclusivity; and advancing sustainability to achieve economic growth and transform Malaysia into a prosperous, inclusive and sustainable country.
CO seeks to strengthen the overall management performance and oversight of the UNDP Country Programme and projects to ensure sound programme management and quality of development results.
To be successful in this role, the Management and Oversight Analyst needs to have a strong programme and operations management background, sufficient knowledge of enterprise risk management, results-based management including advanced analytical skills. S/he should have strong teambuilding, interpersonal and communication skills, be client-oriented, and can look at issues from different angles and find creative solutions.
Key duties and Accountabilities:
- Effective oversight of programmes’ and projects’ management for optimization of development initiatives
- Oversight of Risk management and assessments, for risk-informed programmes and operations
- Effective resource management, including promoting efficiencies and sound budget management performance
- Results-based management performance of the country office
- Capacity development and knowledge facilitation
Ensure effective oversight of programmes’ and projects’ management for optimization of development initiatives:
- Review internal control mechanisms and ensure compliance of project and programme management actions, at the design, implementation and closure stages, to ensure that they are implemented consistently and in accordance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and procedures (POPP).
- Set standard operating procedures and business processes for quality of the project formulation and implementation, including high-risk, high complexity and vertical fund projects to enable adequate monitoring and oversight.
- Ensure inputs to project design, pre-appraisal and quality assurance reviews of the draft project documents to improve the quality of programming, including capacity assessments, resource management, strong governance mechanisms and arrangements etc.
- Contribute to the achievement of project objectives and outcomes by carrying out regular oversight review of projects; assess reliability and integrity of information provided in project reports, and the completeness of supporting documents.
- Provide analysis of the quality of evaluations, and audit trends and ensure management actions plans as well as adjustments to business operations and programming approaches.
- Prepares data analysis and reports, with recommendations on control issues requiring CO management’s actions and interventions.
- Advise and support programme teams on effective use of tools and methodologies for planning, monitoring and reporting to better orient environment vertical fund projects and other donor-funded projects against UNDP corporate and donor policies related to programme and project design and management, offering substantive advice and concrete programming options to enhance project compliance, portfolio analysis, review of evaluations, performance analytics, and other available sources of lessons and best practices.
- Strengthen transparency and accountability in project implementation and overall programme management and carry out targeted performance reviews to ensure targets are met; and make appropriate recommendations for improvement
- Perform other tasks/duties that may be required upon by the supervisor.
Oversee risk management and assessments, for risk-informed programmes and operations:
- Lead on the implementation of the enterprise risk management policy and procedures, including risk identification, risk assessments, risk analysis for decision making, design and implementation of risk mitigation strategies, actions, risk escalation, etc.
- Perform the function of Country Office Audit focal point and coordinates action across various audit-mandated and compliance tasks, including data collection and analysis, follow-up to the audit recommendations and evidence-based reporting, update of corporate systems.
- Ensure effective mechanisms for follow-up to the HACT/DIM and CO audits, analyze audit findings across projects and prepare audit follow up plan, facilitate regular monitoring of audit follow up and preparation of capacity development activities for all projects
- Ensure quality reviews of the Country Office risk registers and advise programme teams to ensure that quality of risks are of good quality and adequately assessed and escalated if need be.
- Support implementation of anti-fraud mechanisms and anti-money laundering and countering finance terrorism (AML/CFT) policies and procedures
- Ensure effective application of the Social and Environmental Standards and facilitates oversight of adequate establishment of safeguards at country level.
- Oversee partner risk management mechanisms within the office (Due diligence, vetting, and risk assessments) and determination of residual risks for management
- Perform the function of Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfers (HACT) oversight focal point and coordinates required actions with programme and operations staff, oversee the quality of HACT implementation, including advice on the management of project level cash transfers to Implementing Partners/Responsible Parties.
- Responsible for office business processes mapping and development of risk-informed SOPs; identifies opportunities for converting business processes into web-based systems to enhance efficiency, accountability, and risk management.
Ensure effective resource management, including promoting efficiencies and sound budget management performance:
- Serve as a performance quality assurance function for resource management and allocations, including financial reporting (programme resources, IB etc.)
- Review and advises on programme planning, resource allocation, and consolidated project budget planning, pipeline management and ensure the corporate systems are up to date and reflect accurate data on resources
- Perform data analysis on management performance indicators of the CO, including IFD, financial sustainability, multiyear budgeting, CDRs approvals, cost-recovery and other financial parameters.
- Ensure effective coordination mechanism for effective annual target setting, resource planning and management, budgeting, delivery/expenditure monitoring, and cost recovery services;
- Oversee the adequate projects set up in line with approved project documents, all ERP/PIMS/Quantum and other platforms attributes are created accordingly and maintained regularly. Ensure that any changes are implemented as required by UNDP’s programme and project management processes
- Analyze and monitor CO’s annual programme delivery target to identify bottlenecks and support the implementation of corrective actions, in consultation with CO management, as needed.
- Keep updated knowledge as to changes in UNDP programme and project budgeting and accounting. Provides support to programme and project staff on project budgeting / accounting rules and procedures.
- In close collaboration with Operation Manager, conduct periodic and targeted quality assurance and transaction level analyses, including sampling and reviews at project level, of CO operations, programme implementation, and risk management, and making recommendations on improvement to CO management team.
- Provide oversight on processes to monitor management of partner agreements and conditions of funding contributions / resources mobilization efforts.
Facilitates the results-based management performance of the country office:
- Perform regular oversight and monitoring actions pertaining to overall management performance of the Country Office and provide advice to the Senior Management on improvement strategies and action plans;
- Ensure guidance to programme and operations teams to proactively identify and address management performance trends against set annual targets and corporate KPIs, recognize root causes and address gaps identified by corporate dashboards, audits, quality assurance reviews and oversight, online performance monitoring tools, Vital signs etc.
- Conduct periodic quality assurance and oversight of programme and operations management, addressing bottlenecks and deficiencies in issues related to programme and operations and make recommendations for improvement to CO management teams.
- Provide advice to the Senior Management and perform quality assurance of the design and implementation of internal control frameworks and oversight processes in the office.
- Contribute to stronger coordination between Programme and Operations teams to promote and support synergies for implementation of the programme and assessment of results.
- Support RR in designing and monitoring Country Office performance pulse, integrating programmatic and operational performance metrics, including regional priorities and regional Integrated Work Plan (IWP) / CO Business Plan and Annual Compacts etc.
- Ensure necessary follow-up measures to respond to the recommendations from global audits, regional assessments and corporate actions plans, etc.
Capacity development and knowledge facilitation:
- Ensure needs and capacity assessments are conducted on regular basis and capacity development actions are designed in an efficient manner.
- Provide training and facilitates effective knowledge dissemination across the office and projects to ensure colleagues have easy access to resources and tools.
- Conducts analysis of COs’ data and case evidence to distil relevant lessons on programme and project management and implementation.
- In close collaboration with the Regional Bureau staff, contributes to development and delivery of modular training packages to strengthen COs’ and partners’ capacities in the programmatic and operational oversight and implementation of the CO portfolios.
- Contribute to CO capacity building efforts and the planning and delivery of workshops and learning events
- Participate in, and brings CO perspectives into, the implementation of policy and strategic initiatives at the regional and HQ level in her/his areas of responsibility to support the key results, outcomes, and outputs of the UNDP Strategic Plan.
- The Management and Oversight Analyst will be responsible for supervision, performance management and development of the Management Associate and the Data Associate.
Core Competencies (Level 2):
- Achieve Results: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management Competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
Business Direction & Strategy
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions; Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and ways forward look like for UNDP
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Risk Management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks; Ability to select, prioritize and control the organization’s programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity; ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as-usual, while optimizing return on investment
- Resource Management: Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity
- Internal Reporting and Accountability: Ability to create internal reporting and accountability processes and standards
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and control resources, procedures, and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication
- Working with Evidence and Data: Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions, and supporting decision-making
- Collective intelligence design: Ability to bringing together diverse groups of people, data, information or ideas, and technology to design services or solutions
Policy and Programme
- Effectiveness: Performance and data analysis and sharing lesson
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Project Management, International Development, Public Administration, or a related field is required.
- Certification in programme/project management (e.g., PRINCE, MSP, PMP, etc.) and/or accounting/audit areas will be a distinct advantage.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in areas related to the job functions preferably at National Officer or International Professional level.
- Demonstrated ability in people management and working with diverse teams.
- Demonstrated experience in programme/project management or programme finance or operations management is highly advantageous.
- Proven ability to deliver under pressure and in short timeframes.
- Knowledge of ERP platforms (PeopleSoft, Oracle Cloud, etc.) is required.
- Strong knowledge of UNDP Enterprise Risk Management policy, Accountability Framework, programme and project management policies and procedures is required.
- Strong communication/presentation skills and excellent writing skills.
- Fluency in English and National Language.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.