Desired start date: 01/12/2023
Duration of the mission: 6 months
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) is an international humanitarian aid association which, since more than 40 years, has been providing assistance to populations affected by armed conflicts and natural disasters by meeting their basic needs for food, water and shelter. Particularly committed to the fight against diseases linked to unsafe water, the leading cause of death in the world, SI’s interventions provide expertise in the field of access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential area of food security and livelihoods. Present in some twenty countries, the SI teams – 2500 people in total, made up of expatriates, national staff, permanent staff at HQ, and a few volunteers – intervene with professionalism and commitment while respecting cultural norms.
ABOUT THE MISSION
Solidarités International intervened in Mozambique in March 2019 for a few months following the passage of Cyclone Idai, which hit the Province of Sofala and the city of Beira hard. Operations were suspended after the emergency phase and the mission closed. The evolution of the situation in Cabo Delgado province, hit by several cyclones and severely affected by the violent actions of armed groups claiming to be IS, which caused the displacement of nearly 700 000 people, led to an assessment in May 2021 and to the reopening of the mission. The assessment carried out in the most affected district highlighted needs, particularly in the WASH sector, and the lack of emergency actors. The mission has opened in a complex security and administrative environment, where access is a major issue.
Solidarités International was one of the first INGO actors to respond to the growing crisis in Cabo Delgado, leading emergency response and distributions in hard-to-reach areas.
Education / academic background:
Any generalist background with a high sensitivity on context analysis is welcome
Specific skills and experience:
- Knowledge on project management and PCM
- Technical experience in WASH, food, hygiene or shelter is an asset
- Training and capacity building skills
- At least four years of experience as manager in humanitarian environments, including one year as field coordinator or one mission in a similar size/context base
- A significant experience of management, including of large team of international staff (8) is necessary
- Skills in humanitarian analysis and external representation
– English is mandatory
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position:
According to experience, starting from EUR 3080 gross per month (2800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of USD 750.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Breaks: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months (with a USD 850 break allowance, allocated by Sl). To these breaks periods, SI grants one (1) additional rest day per month worked.
Insurance package: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which refunds all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
This position is based in Mueda, a small city of 40,000 individuals.
Mueda is a fairly remote location situated on a plateau benefitting from mild weather. Despite usual security conditions of a base 4 (curfew at 7pm at the time of writing), it is possible to walk during the day, access the market and a few restaurants and bars. There are several international NGOs in Mueda offering possibilities to socialize.
Locally available ingredients are somewhat limited, but squid and fish, mangos (in season), and other seasonal items are readily available, with imported goods available to be sent up from Pemba.
The Guesthouse offers confortable living conditions with most rooms having an en-suite bathroom, hot water and almost permanent electrivity.
The internet connection is stable (4G) in Mueda and on the field and in improvement at the time of writing.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? If yes, please send us your CV and cover letter!
Please note that CV-only applications will not be considered, and that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
Thank you for your understanding.
To learn more about Sl: www.solidarites.org
Solidarités International (SI) est déterminé à prévenir et à combattre tout type d’abus – tout acte d’exploitation, d’abus et/ou de harcèlement sexuels (SEAH) à l’encontre des membres des communautés bénéficiaires ou de ses collaborateurs et collaboratrices, atteinte aux personnes et/ou aux biens, fraude, corruption, conflit d’intérêt non déclaré, financement d’activités portant atteinte aux droits de l’homme – qui pourrait être perpétré dans le cadre de ses interventions. SI applique une tolérance zéro à l’égard de tout type d’abus, particulièrement des actes de SEAH.
Solidarités International est un employeur équitable qui combat toute forme de discrimination. SI ne demandera jamais une rétribution quelconque en vue de participer à un processus de recrutement.
Solidarités International (SI) is determined to prevent and fight all type of abuse – all act of exploitation, abuse and/or sexual harassment (SEAH) against members of beneficiary communities or collaborators, fraud, corruption, violation of persons and/or property, funding of activities harmful to human rights – that could be perpetrated in the frame of its interventions. SI implements a zero-tolerance policy regarding acts of abuse, notably acts of SEAH.
Solidarités International is an equitable employer committed to find all forms of discrimination. SI will ever ask for any remuneration to take part in a recruitment process.
Expériences / Formation
Expériences / Formation:
ABOUT THE JOB
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Country Director for a region of a country. He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensure its implementation. He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures. He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management. He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security.
The main challenges:
1. Dynamic context requiring strong daily monitoring and decision making, maintaining / developing a wide network contacts among civilians and armed forces – elections context and departure of SAMIM. 75% of the activities in a relatively stable context at date of writing. 25% in more volatile areas (Nangade district, Muidumbe district, Northern Mueda district)
2. Leadership role in NGO Coordination in Mueda (8 INGOs, Local NGOs, relationship local authorities).
3. In a context were high risks of corruption, diversion and SEA are identified combined with a low humanitarian culture and a large HR scope at base level (around 100 staffs), continuous efforts to promote the code of conduct are required (training, workshops…). Frequent investigations to be carried out.
4. Large panel of activities at the time of writing with 5 Programme departments – strategy to maintain and adjust to recovery context in 2024 with dropping funding opportunities
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
1. Ensure a sound security context analysis in a volatile environment in which IS may be entering a new strategic phase (intensification of attacks, link with Elections and departue of SAMIM from country in 2024). Strengthen access and security network of contacts to optimize continuity of activities in Nangade, Muidumbe and Northern Mueda district
2. Accompany the shift in activities and organigram, as well as turnover of the expatriate team and lead the structuration of the base with adjusted capacities depending on the number of grants secured for 2024
3. Development of SI culture among national colleagues and strong focus on the promotion of CoC