University of Texas Health Science Center
UTHealth Houston is looking for a Network Architect to be a part of the Netops team. Netops focuses on designing, implementing, managing, and supporting the university’s network infrastructure. Primary responsibilities for the network architect include architecting the university’s data center network infrastructure, developing and implementing migration plans to evolve the data center network in a controlled fashion with minimal impact to operations, collaborating with customers and others in IT to ensure that Netops is meeting customer needs, and finally to be a thought leader and subject matter expert in your area of specialization.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) is the most comprehensive academic health center in the UT System. Network Operations, at UTHealth, operates all of the university’s network infrastructure including for UT Physicians and the statewide network for the UT School of Public Health. The network is comprised of some 700 switches and routers and around 2,500 wireless access-points, spanning about 80 buildings in the Houston metro area, and about a half dozen locations around the state. UTHealth operates 3 data centers in the Houston metro area as well as a DR site in Arlington Texas.
What we do here changes the world. UTHealth Houston is Texas’ resource for healthcare education, innovation, scientific discovery, and excellence in patient care. That’s where you come in.
Once you join us you won’t want to leave. It’s because we reward our team for the excellent service they provide. Our total rewards package includes the benefits you’d expect from a top healthcare organization (benefits, insurance, etc.), plus:
- 100% paid medical premiums for our full-time employees
- Generous time off (holidays, preventative leave day, both vacation and sick time – all of which equates to around 37-38 days per year)
- The longer you stay, the more vacation you’ll accrue!
- Longevity Pay (Monthly payments after two years of service)
- Build your future with our awesome retirement/pension plan!
We take care of our employees! As a world-renowned institution, our employees’ wellbeing is important to us. We offer work/life services such as…
- Free financial and legal counseling
- Free mental health counseling services
- Gym membership discounts and access to wellness programs
- Other employee discounts including entertainment, car rentals, cell phones, etc.
- Resources for child and elder care
- Plus many more!
Position Key Accountabilities:
1. Plans, designs and implements new network technologies that may improve the “client experience” and/or improve the network reliability.
2. Integrates multi-vendor, multi-campus, multi-institution, multi-function network components to meet the communication needs of the university.
3. Works with customers & other IT groups to optimize the performance of network dependent applications.
4. Configures network switching & routing using established standards and procedures.
5. Monitors network activity using network monitoring and protocol analysis tools.
6. Identifies performance trends and tunes the network for maximum performance and availability.
7. Troubleshoots complex problems to resolution.
8. Stays current in technology with self-study, seminars or formal training.
9. Provides work direction and guidance to personnel within the department. Leads projects and activities.
10. Advises management on network trends and project development.
11. Creates departmental standards documentation and conducts intra-departmental training.
12. Serves on committees, workgroups, or teams developing or implementing a new network enabled technology.
13. Assists management in developing reports, policies and procedures.
14. All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of network protocols, network architectures and convergence technologies necessary to manage a very complex Wide Area Network at a detail level. Candidate should have one of the following certifications:
* Avaya Certified Communication Manager (ACA)
* Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
* Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) certification
Bachelor’s Degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or relevant experience in lieu of education.
Four years of experience in network communication systems.
Exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds frequently and/or 10 pounds constantly to move objects.
This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code § 51.215
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.