University of Calgary
We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
OPEN EDUCATION LIBRARIAN (Sessional)
LIBRARIES AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY
Libraries and Cultural Resources at the University of Calgary invites applications for a one year sessional librarian position with responsibilities at the rank of Assistant Librarian. The anticipated start date January 1, 2023.
Libraries and Cultural Resources (LCR) is a leader in the development of innovative information resources and services, locally, nationally and internationally. In a converged environment, it successfully incorporates the resources and services of libraries, institutional and research archives, rare books and special collections, art galleries, and a university press to provide outstanding support for scholarship, learning and the creation of knowledge.
Reporting to the Director, Lab NEXT and working in collaboration with colleagues in LCR and across campus, the successful candidate will have a strong commitment to student-centered service delivery, and will promote awareness, adoption, creation and support for Open Education (including Open Educational Resources (OER) and open textbooks) at the University of Calgary.
In addition to providing support for open education, this position will deliver outreach support, instruction and services to students and faculty across campus. Assigned areas of focus and responsibilities will cover activities centred on learning and engagement.
Responsibilities will include:
- Engaging in outreach, instruction, and consultation to support open education on campus.
- Supporting instructors and faculty in matching existing OERs to their syllabi.
- Providing consultation and guidance to instructors engaged in adapting or creating OERs at UCalgary.
- Developing workflows and documentation for OER supports within LCR.
- Supporting the use of institutionally-supported hosting platforms including Pressbooks, Open Journal Systems (OJS), and PRISM, UCalgary’s digital repository.
- Collaborating with campus partners on Open Education communication strategies and campus awareness activities.
- Participating in Open Education projects within Libraries and Cultural Resources and other campus partners.
- Respond to inquiries from the [email protected] email queue
- Participating in collection and scholarly resource development in assigned discipline areas.
- Contributing to the collaborative delivery of library services to faculty, students, and staff through resource sharing, committee service, and participation in collaborative projects.
- Participating in and supporting system-wide and unit level initiatives including support for data resources, scholarly communications, open access, web archiving, research impact, and knowledge synthesis.
- Maintaining awareness of current and emerging trends both in the University and in librarianship and proactively identifying appropriate service responses.
- Contributing to the University’s commitment to serve the community.
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree from an American Library Association accredited program in librarianship, or recognized equivalent.
- Experience working with and knowledge of open education resources.
- Experience with copyright, permissions, and appropriate attribution of openly licensed materials.
- Experience working with digital tools and systems used to design, disseminate, and preserve scholarly content.
- Evidence of a strong service orientation, and the instructional applications and technologies necessary to support the needs of students and faculty.
- Evidence of ability to plan and implement programming and outreach services for users coming from various backgrounds and subject disciplines.
- Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish positive and productive collaborations with staff and faculty.
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team member in a dynamic environment and on a variety of simultaneous projects.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust priorities, take initiative, set goals, manage time wisely, and make quick effective decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- An interdisciplinary undergraduate or graduate degree.
- Familiarity with current issues and trends in open education, library technology and information resources.
- Demonstrated commitment to consultation with users on their information decision and strategy needs.
To apply, please submit an application online via the `Apply Now’ link. Please submit a letter of application addressing background and experience relevant to the position, a current curriculum vitae and contact information for three professional references, by December 15, 2022.
Questions regarding this role can be sent to:
Coordinator, Human Resources
Libraries and Cultural Resources
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
or, by email to [email protected]
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High , committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion ([email protected] ) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources ([email protected] ).
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In this connection, at the time of your application, please answer the following question: Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada? (Yes/No)
To learn more about academic opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Academic Careers website .
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca .
About Calgary, Alberta
Calgary is one of the world’s cleanest cities and has been named one of the world’s most livable cities for years. Calgary is a city of leaders – in business, community, philanthropy and volunteerism. Calgarians benefit from a growing number of world-class dining and cultural events and enjoy more days of sunshine per year than any other major Canadian city. Calgary is less than an hour’s drive from the majestic Rocky Mountains and boasts the most extensive urban pathway and bikeway network in North America.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.