About Light for the World
Light for the World is a global development organisation. We empower people with disabilities and enable eye health services in low-income countries. Over the last three decades we improved health systems, enabled education for all, and amplified the voices of people with disabilities.
Our programmes include:
- Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all.
- Inclusive Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education.
- Inclusive Economic Empowerment – ensuring that barriers are removed for men and women with disabilities to access decent work and business opportunities.
In Kenya, our country strategy for the year 2021-2025 focuses on Inclusive Economic Empowerment, and disability inclusion. We do this using the twin track approach of capacity building of persons with disabilities, and building system strengthening so that barriers for employment and entrepreneurship are removed.
We are seeking for a candidate for the position of Program Officer for the Power-Up Program. The entry date for the position is January 2024.
Reporting to the InBusiness (Inclusive Business) Programme Manager, the main purpose of the position is to support and work with Business Development Service (BDS) providers in building the business capacity of the enterprises under our IKEA Foundation funded programme in the Electrical and Electronic waste (E-Waste) management value chain.
Coordinating the programme activities
- Coordinate work plan and budget development for program implementation.
- Lead in the mobilization, selection, and onboarding of the entrepreneurs.
- Ensure quality and timely delivery of the business skills training according to the entrepreneur journey.
- Conduct coaching and follow-ups of the micro entrepreneurs by ensuring that entrepreneurs get access to loans and disburse matching grant-funding to those entrepreneurs who are selected.
- Together with the Business Development Service (BDS) providers, develop the training plans with applicable inclusive training methodologies that fit the needs of the entrepreneurs.
- Work closely with the gender and Disability Inclusion Advisor (DIA) to ensure activities around gender and disability inclusion are carried out according to plan.
Establishing market linkage opportunities for Entrepreneurs.
- Carry out landscape mapping in the county(s) of focus to identify potential clients, so as to ensure entrepreneurs get connected to buyers, suppliers, and other business partners through the project activities.
- Support, lobby, and advocacy support providers to strengthen activities of the local associations and networks of enterprises established by the project.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Ensure the programme indicators are aligned to programme’s M&E plan and track the programme progress through updating programme monitoring tool.
- Provide M&E information for the programme work plan, field reports, quarterly reports, donor reports or any other to the programme related reports in the agreed format and according to organizational deadlines.
- Supporting BDS providers’ development through coaching, mentoring, growth plans, improvement recommendations and conducting relevant trainings
- Since the programme is implemented through a consortium, the programme officer will play an active role as a member of the consortium in liaison with the Inclusive Business Programme Manager.
- Act as an ambassador, promoting the programme and the work of InBusiness Programme in relevant forums. Network with key institutions relevant to InBusiness including Government, Organisations of persons with disabilities (OPDs) and other programme strategic partners.
Expertise and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in social science or business or related fields. Bachelor’s degree in entrepreneurship or business development (Desirable)
- Knowledge of the SMEs sector in Kenya
- Minimum 3-year relevant work experience in SMEs
- Interacted with small and micro enterprises and most preferably those with disabilities.
- Project planning, management and implementation
- Business linkages experience
- Practical experience of economic models
- Negotiating and managing partner relationships
- A good mastery of English and Swahili languages (both verbal and written)
- Ability to guide and facilitate meetings.
- Affinity with use of social media platforms.
- Sensitive to working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Experience as a trainer or learning facilitator.
How to apply
What we can offer as an employer:
We are offering an outstanding opportunity to bring about change through an international development organisation with strong expertise, a growing profile and a dedicated team. You find a culture of people that are open to ideas, working with you, learning from you and celebrating your milestones. A supportive management that invests in your personal development and growth, and a competent, market-based pay.
We are looking forward to receiving your application by 24 November 2023, at the latest. Please apply using through this link: Power-Up Programme Officer. A complete CV and a letter of motivation are important parts of this. Please let us know why you would like to join our team and why you consider yourself suitable.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people with disabilities to apply for this position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.