SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Procurement and Logistics Assistant
Vacancy Number : SVN/IOMSO/036/2022
Duty Station : IOM Somalia in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Classification : General Service Category, Grade G5
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, Nine Months with possibility of
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 October, 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for
the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Supply Chain Officer and direct supervision of the
Procurement & Logistics Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for organizing procurement
activities including obtaining quotations, tendering, purchase and delivery of office supplies
and materials and equipment and providing project logistics and administrative support as
well as preparing requests for payments, reporting and encoding:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Receive all procurement and supply requisitions from offices in Mogadishu,
Puntland and Somaliland, project managers in Somalia Coordination Office in
Nairobi and make sure all are endorsed prior to procuring using the IOM
authorization matrix as applicable for the mission.
- Process purchase requisitions (PR), requests for quote (RFQ) with vendor/s,
prepare bid analysis summaries (BAS) followed by final preparation of purchase
order (PO) through PRISM system using Material Management (MM) module.
Make sure POs are delivered to suppliers and vendors and their signatures
- Perform all purchases a according to IOM procurement rules and implement
appropriate mechanisms to avoid fraud and ensure transparency to complement
the IOM rules and regulations on procurement.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are
eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are
considered as first-tier candidates.
- Provide a monthly checklist on open commitments and follow up with relevant colleagues for the timely closure of all the PRs and POs in the PRISM system.
- Manage cost effective procurement services in the area of contracts and long term agreements (LTA) in support of IOM Somalia operations.
- Make sure assets (IOM and beneficiary) are created in PRISM through MM prior to procurement and acquired and transferred, deactivated once project are completed.
- Inform project managers and supervisors on offers collected and suggest best goods/services to be procured.
- Follow-up with suppliers on the timely delivery of requested supplies and materials and keep the concerned project staff informed on the status of the delivery.
- Coordinate with the receiving unit on Goods/Services to be received and obtain the satisfactory delivery notes and invoices from the receiving unit.
- Maintain efficient filing system for all documents, reports and procurement records, tenders, bids, etc. and update it regularly.
- Compile with the help of the NPLO a comprehensive database on the reliable vendors, service providers, contractor that could be used in Somali as well Kenya and conduct bi-annual vendor performance reviews, identify specialized supplier opportunities and implement vendor accreditation processes as required.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that prior to the final ordering and delivery of the equipment/materials, the project code, account code and budget line item have been determined.
- Maintain an office supplies registry and conduct periodic stock taking to ensure that stationery and cleaning supplies are replenished in a timely manner.
- Provide logistics assistance to projects including, but not limited to identifying appropriate venues for training/workshops, assisting Programme Assistants in preparing and compiling training materials, etc.
- Draft Service Agreements as and when required and coordinate with LEG Dept. in Geneva the review and endorsement of agreements/contracts prior the signature.
- Liaise with suppliers and manufacturers for repair and warranty of damaged equipment’s. Oversee management of the Mission’s fleet at Nairobi support Office and supervise the Drivers.
- Plan, organize and coordinate the Nairobi support office’s transport needs and ensure effective and efficient allocation of IOM vehicles and hired transport.
- Undertake other duties that may be assigned from time to time which are commensurate to the position.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree, in Purchasing and Supply management, Logistics or Business Administration or related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience or,
• High school degree certificate from an accredited academic institution with five years of professional experience;
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned.
• Ability to pay close attention to details, take initiative and work with minimal supervision
• Knowledge in using office equipment and excellent knowledge in Microsoft Windows. Prior experience in usage of SAP an added advantage.
• Position specific skills, for example:
• In-depth knowledge of procurement best practices. Knowledge of the UN system and its Rules and Regulations a definite asset.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Ability to present clear and concise information. Ability to handle confidential matters;
• Clear analytical skills;
• Very good knowledge of SAP MM module a plus
• Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an added advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
you be interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter via email address with subject of position title and VN number ([email protected]) before the closing date and ensure to also fill out the questionnaire using the link
above as applicable.
- Fill out HR questionnaire using the form link above
- After Filling out HR questionnaire, Send your CV and Cover letter to the email address above.
- Any candidate who Fill out HR questionnaire But did not send CV and Cover letter will be disqualified
- Any candidate who Send CV and Cover letter But did not Fill out questionnaire will be disqualified
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
From 29.09.2022 to 12.10.2022
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.