UQAM is looking for qualified candidates to renew its faculty and ensure quality development in all areas of activity. UQAM ranks 1st in Quebec and 3rd in Canada in terms of research funding in the category of comprehensive universities. Located in downtown Montreal, its Faculty of Sciences is steadily growing, currently including 13 research centers and 25 research chairs as well as more than 4,000 students.
In accordance with its development plan, the Department of Biological Sciences now wishes to enrich its expertise in microbiome and omics-based analyses with a new professor position specializing in microbiota-host interactions in a human health context. We are looking for candidates whose expertise will complement or support the broad research interests of the Centre d’Excellence en Recherche sur les Maladies Orphelines – Fondation Courtois (CERMO-FC). Investigators from this multi-departmental interdisciplinary research center use various animal models to study the mechanisms of many diseases at the physiological, cellular, molecular and/or biochemical levels. These researchers also benefit from the support of 6 cutting-edge research core facilities.
The Department of Biological Sciences recognizes that diversity not only enhances the quality, relevance and impact of all of its actions, but also enriches and supports the aspirations of both student and faculty populations. In accordance with the targets that UQAM must reach within the framework of the Canada Research Chairs Program, the Department of Biological Sciences invites in particular people from the groups targeted by this Program (women and gender minorities, racialized minorities, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples) to apply. At equal competency, an application from one of these groups will be prioritized for the professor position advertised here, which may then lead to a Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in the sector of Health Sciences (CIHR).
• PhD in biological/biomedical sciences or in a related discipline;
• Postdoctoral experience with excellent publication record;
• Capacity to develop an independent world-class research program in microbiota-host interactions;
• Potential to develop collaborations at either conceptual or technical levels with colleagues from the Department of Biological Sciences and/or other departments of the Faculty of Sciences;
• Teaching and/or mentoring experience;
• Capacity to teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses in microbiology and related disciplines from the Biology and Biochemistry programs, as well as to supervise the research training of both undergraduate and graduate students;
• Experience with good practices in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (e.g., best practices from the New Frontiers in Research Fund);
• Proficiency in spoken and written French, or have the potential to acquire a functional level in French within two years of hiring (non-French-speaking individuals will be offered language training).
JOB TYPE: Tenure-track position
STARTING DATE: ideally December 1, 2023
SALARY: According to the UQAM–SPUQ collective agreement
Candidates are requested to send a cover letter (including teaching philosophy), a curriculum vitae in French (detailed, dated and signed), a brief research statement (1 page) and three letters of recommendation (directly sent by the referees). People who identify with one of the groups targeted by the Canada Research Chairs Program are invited to complete the Self-Identification Questionnaire and include it in their application package. Note that people already authorized to work in Canada will be given priority for hiring.
All documents must be submitted BEFORE MARCH 17, 2023, 5 p.m., to:
Madame Catherine Mounier PhD, directrice
Département des sciences biologiques
Université du Québec à Montréal
C. P. 8888, Succursale Centre-Ville
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3C 3P8
Téléphone: 514 987-3000, poste 8912
Télécopieur: 514 987-4647
Courriel : [email protected]