United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Nature, Climate and Energy is the biggest programme portfolios for UNDP Malaysia Country Office (CO) ranges from biodiversity and ecosystems, climate change, energy, environmental management, ozone protection, natural resource management and waste management. Currently, the programme implementation is funded from various resources including the Global Environment Facility. The portfolio remains one of the important programme areas in the Country Programme Document period from 2022 – 2025 with a shift towards diversification of funding and efforts to operationalize new financial instruments.
Specifically, the thematic area of climate, energy and environmental management focuses on climate, energy & environmental related policy and governance, climate actions including mitigation and adaptation, chemicals, green and circular economy, ozone protection, sustainable energy, and waste management. Details may be referred on UNDP website at http://www.my.undp.org/.
He/she works in close collaboration with other Programme units and Operations Unit to deliver on country programme results and successful Country Office’s performance with accountability and compliance wtih UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures.
The Programme Analyst will also manage and supervise project teams to ensure that project personnel, experts and service providers operate effectively and efficiently for the successful implementation and timely delivery of programme/project results.
Scope of Work
Programme/Project Development and Management
Contribute to the development and effective management of Country Programme(s) and initiatives/projects in the area of climate, energy and environmental management focusing on quality control from formulation to the implementation of Country Programme(s) and initiatives/projects.
- Contribute to the design and formulation of the Country Programme Document and Country Programme Action Plan within the thematic area of expertise including subsequent review and update where applicable.
- Design, develop and formulate initiatives/projects that are aligned with programme priorities in the Country Programme, strengthen existing partnerships and form new partnerships.
- Manage and implement initiatives/projects where UNDP is the main implementing/delivering partner.
- Provides thematic leadership, technical guidance, oversight and quality control of programme/project management cycle from annual work planning, budgeting to implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting to project teams/partners, ensuring that results are delivered in accordance with work plan, UNDP policies, rules and regulations; and donor’s requirements.
- Ensures effective application of results-based management tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results, as part of quality assurance, CO performance, Results-Oriented Annual Reporting, and other forms of results-based reporting and/or dashboard, etc.
- Monitor and manage programme/project risks, and apply adaptive management including corrective and adaptive measures in programme/project implementation.
- Conduct periodic programme monitoring visits and prepare programme monitoring visit reports as required.
- Draft terms of reference and specification for procurement of goods and/or services.
- Support audit and evaluation exercises and follow up on the implementation of management responses/actions to the audit and evaluation recommendations.
Policy & Technical Advisory Support
Ensure effective provision of policy and technical support services focusing on the achievement of Country Programme results.
- Conduct research and analysis of climate, energy and environmental management related policies, legislation, institutions, strategies/action plans, practices and procedures to keep abreast of the environmental, social and economic trends, priorities and impacts in Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei Darussalam.
- Conduct background analysis and summary of policy and scientific research related to climate, energy and environmental management.
- Provide technical support to the development and preparation of knowledge products on climate change mitigation and adaptation, sustainable energy and environmental management, etc.
- Prepare thematic fact sheets/papers/reports/policy briefs, etc. to inform targets groups such as government, civil society, private sector, etc.
- Prepare substantive inputs including situation analysis on climate, energy and environmental management in the country into the proposals and project documents for climate change and environmental management related and/or cross-cutting projects.
Ensure resources are mobilized for effective programme/project development and management for the achievement of the Country Programme(s)’ results and to ensure financial sustainability of the Country Office
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with stakeholders, advocate UNDP comparative advantages with corresponding programme, initiatives and projects; and ensure visibility.
- Assess programme interest and priorities of key donors and development partners, support to the development and/or update of CO Partnership and Resource Mobilization Strategy.
- Identify opportunities and areas for UNDP support, and mobilize resources from the Governments (national, sub-national and local), bilateral or multilateral donors, development partners, financial institutions and private sector.
Knowledge Building and Management
Ensure effective facilitation of knowledge building and management, guidance to all stakeholders on programme/project management, operational and technical matters focusing on the achievement of Country Programme(s) and Country Office’s performance
- Document lessons learned and best practices in Country Programme/project development, management, implementation and/or oversight.
- Raise awareness of and train project teams and personnel on UNDP corporate strategic issues, plans and initiatives to maximize highest impact and performance effectiveness.
- Conduct regular exchange of information/experience with other programme teams and initiatives/projects to ensure synergies and integration; promote cross-portfolio and cross-programme learning and sharing.
- Access UNDP’s worldwide and regional knowledge, distil best practices and facilitate their dissemination within CO and to counterparts and partners.
- Access global best practices and share them with local and international stakeholders, and ensure their incorporation into the thematic area of climate, energy & environmental management and project design process.
- Participate and contribute to communities of practice, codifying and sharing knowledge.
- Prepare communication and awareness materials, and knowledge products for policy advocacy, knowledge sharing and strategic partnership.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Nature, Climate and Energy:
- Chemicals and waste management: practical application / ozone layer protection / ozone & climate-friendly technologies / energy efficiency concepts, renewable energy, access to energy; technologies and practical application: Knowledge of chemicals and waste management / ozone layer protection / ozone & climate-friendly technologies / energy efficiency concepts, renewable energy, access to energy; technologies and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Climate change adaptation, mitigation and policies Knowledge of climate change adaptation, mitigation and policies, and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Project management: Ability to plan, organise, priorities and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Results-based management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Knowledge generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Resource mobilization: Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes / projects / initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements.
- Master’s Degree in one of the following: Climate Change, Climate Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Economics, Environmental Management, Environmental Policy, Environmental Studies, Natural Sciences, Sustainable Energy, Sustainability Studies, Waste Management, or a related field.
- In lieu of a Master’s degree, a Bachelor’s degree with 4 years’ work experience can be considered.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience (Master degree) or minimum 4 years of relevant experience (Bachelor degree) at the national or international level in providing advisory/technical support services, and managing and implementing initiatives/projects in the area of climate change mitigation, climate change adaptation, chemicals, sustainable energy, environment management, ozone protection, and waste management.
- Minimum 2 years of working experience with the international organizations / government / private sector / research institution / think tank / civil society organization.
- Ability to lead and manage outputs and activities in all phases of project management involving multiple partners and stakeholders, and in conflict settings.
- Excellent skills in problem-solving, adaptative management, conflict resolution, advocacy, and stakeholder engagement and coordination.
- Demonstrated ability in writing good quality project reports, policy briefs/paper, and/or communication & advocacy article/blog/story.
- Proven field experience in climate, energy and environmental management initiatives/projects at national, sub-national/state, local and/or community level.
- Experience in collaborating and partnering with government agencies, private sector, communities and/or international organizations.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Experience in GIS systems and tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, etc. is an advantage.
- Knowledge of IPCC Guidelines for National Communications / Biennial Transparency Report / Greenhouse Gas Inventories is desired.
- English and Malay – fluent in written and oral form
NOTE: This position is open for Malaysia nationals only.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.