United Nations University
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals’ full breadth, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu
About Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (IAS)
United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) is one of 14 research and training Institutes that comprise the think tanks in the UNU system. UNU-IAS is a UNU institute based at UNU Headquarters in Tokyo. The mission of UNU-IAS is to serve the international community through policy-relevant research and capacity development focused on sustainability, including its social, economic and environmental dimensions. Through its postgraduate education programmes UNU-IAS develops future international leaders with interdisciplinary understanding and skills needed to advance creative solutions to problems of sustainability. UNU-IAS builds on a strong tradition of UNU research and capacity development in Japan, undertaken in collaboration with a global network of professionals and scholars, particularly in Africa and Asia.
The Strategic Programme (SP) is a flagship programme implemented by the Strategy and Management Office
(SMO) in collaboration with Units of Thematic Programmes of the Institute and UNU-IAS partners under the Strategic Period 2020-2024. The Strategic Programme implements a research project on the governance for sustainable
Development focusing on synergies between climate change and sustainable development, budgeting and monitoring & evaluation system for SDGs. The SP, in collaboration with other units and partners of the UNU-IAS, is developing and implementing policy-oriented capacity building and educational programmes such as Post Graduate Degree Specialisation on the Paris Agreement. For more information, please visit UN University to Launch Postgraduate Degree Specialisation on the Paris Agreement – Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability.
The UNU-IAS implements education and capacity building activities through Postgraduate Degree Programmes and other programmes. It offers master’s and doctoral degree programmes, and innovative short courses, in close collaboration with leading universities in Japan and other countries. It develops international leaders with the interdisciplinary understanding and technical skills needed to advance creative solutions to problems of sustainability.
Under the general supervision of the UNU-IAS Director and direct supervision of the Head of Programme and Administration, the Consultant will perform the following duties:
Assist in development and implementation of Postgraduate Degree Specialisation on the Paris Agreement focusing on the following areas;
- Develop curricula of course works of the Specialisation on the Paris Agreement in the key elements such as the enhanced transparency system, mid- and long-term net-zero emission strategies, measurable, reportable and verifiable (MRV) system, measures in land use, land use change and forestry (LULUCF) sector;
- Develop practicum training courses in collaboration with partner institutes of the UNU-IAS;
- Implement communication, knowledge management, and outreach activities including presentation on the above courses at conferences and workshops, and publication of blogs and newsletters;
Assist in implementation of the Postgraduate Degree Progremmes fosucing on the following areas;
- Delivery of lectures on the above-mentioned curricula to the master and Ph.D. course students in the Spring Semester in FY2022- 2023;
- Assist in supervision of the master and Ph.D. course students through provision of knowledge on the implementation of the Paris Agreement focusing on the specific elements mentioned above;
- Evaluate the quality and effectiveness of the course works and report to the Head of Programme and Administration; and
Perform other duties requested by the Head of Programme and Administration
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality development of the curricula of course works and practicum courses on the Postgraduate Degree Specialisation on the Paris Agreement.
- Quality delivery of lectures on the developed course works
- Timely and quality report on the evaluation of the developed course works.
- Timely and quality implementation of communication, knowledge management and outreach on the Specialisation on the Paris Agreement.
- UNU is seen as a reliable and trustworthy partner by research partners, governments, donors, and civil society.
Education and certification
- Ph.D. in Environment Science, Environment Policy, International relations, or equivalent field of study is required.
- At least five years of working experience in higher education and/or professional institutions in the above-mentioned areas, some of which preferably in an international and multi-cultural environment focusing on the enhanced transparency system, and measurable, reportable and verifiable (MRV) system;
- A number of publications in international climate change frameworks and related fields;
- Experience in teaching in the area of climate change science, international climate change policy, or related fields;
- Experience of participation for the negotiation on the UN climate conferences as a national delegate.
- Experience in communication, knowledge management and outreach activities on the implementation of the Paris Agreement mentioned in the III. above;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Fluency in English is essential
- Working knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset
Recommend your friend
About Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (IAS)
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.
Programme Specialist (Disaster Risk Reduction & Climate Change). (*Open to Nationals of ECA Countries*)UNICEF GlobalEastern Caribbean, BarbadosEastern Caribbean, Barbados
Administration OfficerInternational Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent SocietiesBudapest, HungaryBudapest, Hungary
Partnerships Officer (Advocacy). (*Open to Nationals of ECA Countries*)UNICEF GlobalEastern Caribbean, BarbadosEastern Caribbean, Barbados
Fiscal Policy Assistant (CIP)European Environmental BureauBrusselsBrussels