Umeå University is one of Sweden’s largest institutions of higher education with over 37,000 students and 4,800 faculty and staff. We are characterised by world-leading research in several scientific fields and a multitude of educations ranked highly in international comparison. Umeå University is also the site of the pioneering discovery of the CRISPR-Cas9 genetic scissors – a revolution in genetic engineering that has been awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
At Umeå University, everything is nearby. Our cohesive campus environment makes it easy to meet, collaborate and exchange knowledge, which promotes a dynamic and open culture where we rejoice in each other’s successes.
Are you interested in knowing more about Umeå University as a workplace read more at: Work with us.
MIMS (The Laboratory for Molecular Infection Medicine Sweden) is the Swedish node for the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine. Our mission is to promote research excellence in infection medicine and to foster the careers of the next generation of researchers in this field. Through our partnership with the European Molecular Biology Laboratories (EMBL) and a strong network of Nordic partners, we connect Swedish science to an expanding family of European research centres for molecular medicine.
We are looking for a temporary project coordinator for an employment up to 24 months with 50% employment, with a focus on event organizing. Start as soon as possible or by agreement. The position is located at the Department of Molecular Biology, Umeå University.
Description of work tasks
As a project coordinator, you will work closely with the MIMS leadership in organizing workshops, conferences, retreats and meetings (done in collaboration with the communicator and science manager). Other duties include providing support for the organisation of events and meetings, including travel arrangements, and linking MIMS activities with the dedicated administrative services of the department.
The work as a coordinator within MIMS requires you to be able to work both independently and in a group. Considering the nature of the tasks, you should be a service-oriented person with very good communication and organizational skills. It is also of utmost importance to be able to create good and service-oriented relationships both with the institution’s external and internal target groups. As a person, you are independent, flexible, initiative-taking and well-structured.
- To fulfil this role effectively, you must be able to communicate with our researchers.
- You will need a basic understanding of the work processes within research and related administration.
- University education (minimum bachelor’s degree) is required.
- You have a good ability to see the overall picture and experience working with planning and organizational issues within universities.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English, and at least basic understanding of Swedish.
Other desirable qualifications
- You have good knowledge and documented experience of the day-to-day running of a research centre at a university.
- Previous experience in scientific project coordination is advantageous but not a requirement.
- International experience.
- Experience in organizing activities that engage the public is advantageous but not a requirement.
You apply through our recruitment program at the latest 13 February 2023. The application must be written in English (preferably) or Swedish and must contain:
- A personal cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position and how you meet the essential and desirable qualifications (maximum two A4 pages).
- A CV documenting education and current and previous employment.
- Names and email addresses with two to three references.
- Other relevant documentation that you wish to include in support of your application.
Contact person: Oliver Billker, [email protected]
We welcome your application!
More about us
More information about MIMS can be found on our website: https://www.mims.umu.se/ . You can read more about the Department of Molecular Biology at https://www.umu.se/en/department-of-molecular-biology/
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.