United Nations Resident Coordinator System (RCS)
|Posting Title:||Project Development Consultant|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Human Settlements Programme|
|Posting Period:||06 January 2023 – 16 January 2023|
|Job Opening Number:||22-United Nations Human Settlements Programme-198361-Consultant|
Result of Service
The main objective of this consultancy is to support the Task Manager coordinating UN-Habitat activities in West Africa in project development, especially in the Sahel region and in Nigeria. Joint programming with other UN Agencies is encouraged.
Duties and Responsibilities
UN-Habitat is increasing its projects’ portfolio in West Africa. Project development efforts need to be carried out at the sub-regional level (Sahel region) and in Nigeria, mostly related to urbanization processes provoked from massive displacements due to conflict or in terms of slum upgrading, within the framework of the UN-Habitat Strategic Plan 2020-2025.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the UN-Habitat Task Manager for West Africa, in collaboration with UN-Habitat staff involved in the Sahel and in Nigeria, the Consultant will be responsible for:
– Literature review in terms of existing development/investment plans, studies and assessments, strategies and policies, etc., relevant for project development
– Alignment with the Sustainable Development Agenda 2030, in particular the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) n. 11 and the New Urban Agenda
– Problem identification and understanding how UN-Habitat can add value, including looking into lessons learned from other countries and the UN-Habitat Catalogue of Services (available online)
– Mapping of stakeholders (who does what) and identification of implementing partners
– Ensuring a participatory approach while developing project concept notes and full proposals, which are community/beneficiaries centred; the project proposals to be developed need to ensure that institutional capacity is built while implementing, job creation, income generation (sustainability)
– Ensuring that UN-Habitat Environmental and Social Safeguards Standards (ESSS) and project templates are respected/complied with
– Detailing of project activities, implementation arrangements (including clear definition of responsibilities), risk analysis, etc., including Theory of Change (i.e. what is the project transformational impact) and Logical Framework
– Participating in negotiations with potential bi/multi-lateral donors (including UN Agencies), and meet (online) with key stakeholders, especially government representatives, including making technical presentations as necessary
– Developing detailed budgets while developing project proposals, including costs for project personnel, inland/international missions (e.g. support from UN-Habitat Headquarters / Regional Office for Africa), implementation of physical activities, equipment, operations & miscellaneous, project evaluation, etc.
The Consultant, for developing the project proposals, may be requested to carry out short field missions to assess on-site situation and collect relevant data and objectively assess the feasibility of proposed interventions, costing and budgeting, as well as evaluating environmental, security and social risks.
The consultant will ensure that all materials generated will be for the exclusive use of UN-Habitat and therefore may not be published or used for other purposes.
University BSC degree in fields related to territorial and urban planning, urban planning, geography, urban design, territorial and/or related studies is required.
At least 7 years of professional experience is required in the development, management, and implementation of large-scale urban and/or territorial projects, coordinating multidisciplinary work teams.
Experience in reviewing substantive and technical content in documents relevant to public institutions is required.
Relevant experience in the conflict areas and knowledge of the 2030 Agenda and the New Urban Agenda is required.
International experience will be considered in the field of international cooperation for territorial and urban development.
Work experience in the United Nations system is desirable.
Fluency in oral and written English is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this internship posting.