UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-Country Office (ETMCO) exciting Internship opportunity
UNOPS-ETMCO is recruiting for this position: Project Management Intern, based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply.
The Ethiopia Multi-country Office (ETMCO) sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Addis Ababa which manages a portfolio of engagements in four (4) Horn of Africa countries (Ethiopia, Djibouti, Sudan and South Sudan). ETMCO focuses on Infrastructure, Procurement, Project Management, HR and Transactional Services, and Fund Management services across a wide range of sectors including Health, Education, Agriculture, and Resilient infrastructure among others. Our goal is to support countries, help people in need and enable our partners through delivering on our mandate of infrastructure, procurement and project management in the countries in the Horn of Africa. Building on our global experience of successfully delivering projects in complex operating environments, a healthy pipeline of engagements are at various stages of discussion with our priority partners.
UNOPS has signed a project agreement with the Ministry of Health to strengthen the Capacity of the Ministry for the Realization of Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) on selected priorities. This project will be implemented in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and the overall objective/purpose is to contribute towards the realization of selected strategic priorities of the Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) which is more on project management focusing on institutional capacity building and technical assistance. UNOPS is selected to manage and implement the project by creating a project management unit (PMU). This unit will be formed by a group of experts and specialists in the relevant matters and will lay the groundwork for institutional capacity strengthening through the establishment of a Technical Assistance Management Unit (TAMU). The TAMU will be composed of a group of Technical Assistants and experts, recruited and supervised by UNOPS personnel that would implement part of the project activities. The unit will be managed by the UNOPS for the duration of the project. TAMU will oversee the mapping of the necessary human resource requirements and potential interventions aimed at boosting the capacity of the Ministry.
The internship is learning and working opportunity that targets fresh graduates. The intern will be exposed to practical learning and working experiences that foster development of his /her path. The Intern will work full time and follow the same working hours as UNOPS employees.
The Project Management Intern will have an opportunity to work on the below listed areas:
- Providing support to the project team with the extraction and collection of data from different sources.
- Assist in project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the work-plan.
- Assist in processing direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions.
- Assist in the analysis and structuring of data, and compiling periodic updates to different users.
- Support in conducting periodic project health checks.
- Provide support to the project team in setting up regular and ad-hoc meetings; prepare minutes and summaries of actions to be taken, and track progress on planned issues and follow-up with focal points.
- Assist with the compilation and distribution of progress reports, lessons learned and best practice; and periodic newsletters, and other communications and stakeholder management initiatives.
- Support in updating and administering of progress dashboard.
- Support in documentation management processes through review of projects’ documentations.
- Assist in rolling out of the capacity building and training plan on program management.
- Support in the design and roll-out of necessary systems and processes of the project.
- Participate in project meetings and initiative with the aim of building experience around Project Management .
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Training components and learning elements
Selected candidate will be exposed towards diverse elements involved in the Ethiopia office project management activities, s/he will have an opportunity to learn the various aspects of project management, and capacity building.
- A First level Degree (Bachelor’s Degree) is required preferably in the areas of Health, Social Studies, Development Studies, or other relevant discipline.
- The applicant should have graduated from such studies within three (3) years prior to the start date of the intern assignment.
- Applicants are not required to have work experience.
- Knowledge of computers and office software packages, especially Google Suite is an asset.
- Fluency in written, spoken and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type: Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 months
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lumpsum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.