United Nations Office for Project Services
UNAOC was created to serve as a soft-power political tool of the United Nations Secretary-General for conflict prevention and conflict resolution. It is a coalition against extremist forces; a movement to advance mutual respect for cultures, traditions and religious beliefs, and a platform to bridge divides and overcome prejudice, misconceptions, misperceptions, and polarization. UNAOC was intended to promote collective action in society as a means of addressing the threats that emerge from the hostile perceptions that foment violence, overcoming cultural and social barriers, reducing tensions and improving relations between societies and communities with diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, and combating violent extremism.
The High-Level Group’s report, published on 13 November 2006, put forth recommendations that became the guiding principles for the implementation of the Alliance. In particular, it identified four priority areas of action for the Alliance of Civilizations, which all play a critical role in reducing cross-cultural tensions and building bridges between communities, and to which the Alliance of Civilizations should bring a multidisciplinary and multi-perspective approach: Youth, Education, Media, and Migration.
Specific intern responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide support to the implementation of programmes and projects activities;
- Assist and provide administrative and substantive support in the organization of events, meetings, conferences etc.;
- Support in conducting research and collecting data as requested;
- Provide assistance in the production of UNAOC communication products, including newsletters, brochures, website content, and support social media activities;
- Provide logistical and coordination support in the office as needed;
- Research and contribute to the Interactive Dialogues and Thematic Debates organized by the High Representative and provide an assessment of emerging threat to international peace and security;
- Contribute to the overall work of the UNAOC Secretariat and take on additional tasks as and when needed.
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
- Under the direct supervision of the Programming Coordinator
- Satisfactory delivery of project-related tasks within predetermined deadlines
- Meet projected outputs as outlined by the supervisor
- Regular meetings with supervisor to ensure timely completion of assignments
female Candidates Are Strongly Encouraged To Apply:
- Currently enrolled in a university programme such as Bachelor, Masters or Ph.D. (or the equivalent) or have graduated from such studies within three (3) years prior to the application date of the internship.
- Internship related experience: (The following skills and experience are desirable but not required)
- Previous experience in the field of international development cooperation and a minimum of 30 hours of certified training in international development;
- Computer literacy with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; attention to detail; and determination to meet deadlines;
- Familiarity with the work of the United nations Organization, its mandate, main areas of focus, United Nations Bodies, etc.;
- Strong personal interest for issues related to multiculturalism; diversity and inclusion; identity; intercultural understanding and cooperation.
- Experience in managing peacebuilding projects on global citizenship education, sports for development and peace and/or promoting youth media platforms is an asset
- Fluently in English required with advance written and verbal skills;
- Knowledge of other UN languages is desirable.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.
(Senior) Consultant SAP Health (all genders)AdessoSchleswig-HolsteinSchleswig-Holstein
MNL – Regional Finance Hub Account Manager, EOHM GovernmentUnited KingdomUnited Kingdom
Provision of Catering Services for UN Women Philippines Project Office for serieUN-WomenPhilippinesPhilippines
National Climate Change SpecialistFood and Agriculture OrganizationYerevan, ArmeniaYerevan, Armenia