International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Requisition ID: req31986
Job Title: Project Management Trainee
Sector: President’s Office
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Part-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: New York, NY HQ USA
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people affected by humanitarian crises to survive, recover and gain control of their lives. Founded at the call of physicist, humanitarian—and refugee—Albert Einstein in 1933, the IRC is now at work in over 50 crisis-affected countries, over 40 US cities, as well as communities throughout Europe and the Americas. We deliver lasting impact by providing health care, helping children learn, and empowering individuals and communities to become self-reliant, always seeking to address the inequalities facing women and girls.
In 2021 the IRC and partners reached over 31.5 million people in countries affected by crisis. We are committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
The IRC will be re-launching two major conferences to bring senior IRC staff leaders together: the Senior Leaders Group (SLG) Retreat (2 days in Dec 2022, 75+ colleagues), and Leadership Week (3-4 days, May/June 2023, 200+ colleagues). The SLG Retreat in December will be held in New York City, and senior leaders from IRC’s offices around the globe will be convening together in person. The retreat will be focused on two topics: our multi-year strategy, Strategy100, and leadership skills-building.
The Project Management Trainee will provide logistical and administrative support leading up to and during the events, from coordinating travel logistics to event operations. The Trainee will get exposure to strategic planning, leadership engagement, and learning and development approaches. From their position in the President’s Office, they will get a wide view of the strategy and functions in a global organization.
We are looking for someone interested in joining a fast-paced global organization, enjoys working with people from different cultures, and is inspired by knowing they are helping people achieve our humanitarian mission! Our work is fluid and can shift quickly, but those who enjoy this type of role are creative, proactive problem solvers and eager learners that can use their unique set of skills to support
· Assist in providing general administrative support for the retreats, including collecting and organizing survey data, conducting research, and other tasks that may arise in response to shifting priorities.
· Create email templates and/or responses to common logistical questions or topics to ensure that all information is effectively captured and transparent.
· Support event-related tasks such as getting materials printed, room set-up, and note-taking.
· Additional duties and learning opportunities as assigned.
- Receive mentorship and opportunities to collaborate with colleagues across a highly matrixed, global non-profit organization.
- Experience with project management for a retreat that will influence strategic decisions and change efforts in the organization.
- Access to over 400+ self-directed online courses developed by IRC and other humanitarian organizations and companies.
- Opportunity to join listening sessions and department meetings to develop an understanding of IRC and the global humanitarian aid, relief, and development sector.
Key Working Relationships:
Reports to: Advisor, Strategy and Performance, President’s Office
Key Internal Relationships:
· President’s office team: Senior Director, Policy and Planning; Advisor, Strategy & Performance
· Strategy Unit: Associate Director of Strategy; Director of Strategy
· Human Resources: Senior Director Talent Management; Director of Leadership Development; Department Manager, Global HR
· Events: Senior Director, Experiential Marketing
· Colleagues across other geographies and technical areas including Program teams, Operations, IT, and others.
· Interest or experience with NGOs and/or fundraising
· Event planning (even on a volunteer or small-scale basis)
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
· Demonstrated ability and fulfillment in operating with a client service approach, and building and fostering positive working relationships; highly resourceful
· Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
· Experience with online survey tools
- Self-motivated, ability to plan, prioritize and problem solve independently
- Highly attentive to details, organized
· Ability to manage multiple priorities and on deadline; committed to timely and creative problem solving
· Flexibility, adaptability, and resilience in working in a constantly evolving environment
· Ability and commitment to the highest ethical standards including maintaining confidentiality
· Ability to commit no more than 20 hours per week
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in English
· Standard office working environment, including in remote settings
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Respect at Work, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.