Reports to: Project Manager
Date: Oct 24 2022 or earlier
The Project Officer contributes to the daily implementation of a major countering violent extremism (CVE) project spanning five countries in West Africa. The Officer implements GeoA’s responsibilities within the project supervised by the project manager. He/She might supervise or coordinate with other officers, interns, and external contractors. He/She also aids business development based on identified needs and opportunities.
Project Delivery and Management
The Project Officer is responsible for implementing specific tasks within a major CVE project. These involve coordination of activities, research drafting, participating of research design meetings and being involved in all substantial aspects of the project, as well as keeping track of deadlines and deliverables.
- Participate in weekly meetings with GeoA Project Manager to review priorities and tasks to ensure effective coordination.
- Promotes GeoA’s mission and values, including locally based solutions, cultural diversity, gender equality, and carbon neutral strategy.
- Maintains at all times a high standard of professionalism, efficiency, personal communication, discretion, and independent judgment.
- Carries out other duties of a temporary character.
General qualifications and Skills
- Masters in any relevant field.
- Two years of professional experience, preferably in West Africa or a developing country.
- Skills to design and develop project proposals based on country-level identified needs and priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including professional working ability to speak and write in French and English.
- Ability to work independently, while proactively raising issues when necessary.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable within a small organization, including taking the initiative and multi-task in a fluid and challenging work environment.
- Respects cultural differences and ability to work with people from diverse settings
- Supports and adheres to GeoA’s mission and values, including gender diversity and carbon-neutral strategy.
- Background in any qualitative or quantitative social science is an advantage.
- Familiarity with R or Stata is an advantage.
- Familiarity with CVE projects is an advantage.
- Familiarity with large donors’ processes and procedures is an advantage.
GeoAnalytics Center (GeoA) is an organization based in Niger. Our goal is to technologically reinforce programming related to sector reform, countering violent extremism, gender issues, and governance. We are convinced that, when adapted to local realities and needs, tech can be a critical facilitating tool for learning, empowering, communicating, collecting, and organizing data, and enhancing productivity and effectiveness. We base our approach on three overarching ideas:
- Technology is not a silver bullet. However, properly designed technological solutions may reinforce existing initiatives by streamlining processes and increasing efficiency.
- Technology is only as good as the people behind it. GeoA ensures its approaches are well integrated within existing organizations and provides training and long-term mentoring to ensure sustainability.
- Geox’s solutions are locally adapted and are always based on the recipients’ capacity to understand and effectively apply technologically-based solutions.
We are proud of our strategic partnerships with the PeaceTech Lab, an independent nonprofit organization working to reduce violent conflict using technology, media, and data to accelerate and scale peacebuilding efforts. The PeaceTech Lab brings together engineers and activists, MBAs and conflict experts, social scientists, data scientists, and other innovators to develop effective peacebuilding solutions.
How to apply
How to apply
Please email [email protected] with your CV and a single-authored writing sample, such as a research paper. Applications are considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. For any questions, please contact [email protected]