DRC (Danish Refugee Council)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision.
Overall purpose of the role:
- Provision of legal aid services including legal information dissemination, counselling, assistance, and representation to beneficiaries in Erbil.
- The Protection Assistant (Legal) will also be responsible for maintaining their case data within relevant legal trackers and databases, following up on referrals, and contributing report inputs.
- With guidance from the Protection Team Leader – Legal, ensure quality planning, implementation and follow up on legal services provided in coordination with the Economic Recovery Team.
This role forms part of an integrated approach to Economic Recovery programming in Erbil. The Protection Assistant – Legal will be embedded within the Erbil Economic Recovery Team and will be providing legal services to Economic Recovery beneficiaries. Due to the integrated nature of the programme, the Protection Assistant will be managed by the Economic Recovery Project Manager for day to day tasks and administrative matters, however they will be technically line managed by the Protection Team Leader who will ensure quality implementation and compliance with DRC’s Protection procedures and guidelines.
Geographic scope: Erbil
This role has a focus on Erbil and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within DRC Iraq and North Area office. The role contributes to the implementation of economic recovery and protection strategies in Erbil, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
- Provide legal services, in line with DRC Iraq guidance and standard operating procedure (SOP) to community members of different ages (youth, adults and older persons), sex (men and women) and abilities (including people with disabilities).
- At all times, respect information management principles and guiding protection principles to ensure the confidentiality and quality of services provided.
- Disseminate accurate and impartial information to the beneficiaries through individual counselling, collective/group sessions, advisories, and leaflets.
- Identification of people in need of individual legal aid (legal counseling or legal representation) and ensure timely response, through static and mobile activities (as relevant).
- Identification of vulnerable people in need of individual protection support (case management and/or individual protection assistance), ensure timely referral and coordinate on multidisciplinary response.
- Report urgent and high-risk cases to Protection Team Leader (Legal)
- Undertake individual and group sessions providing legal information and legal counseling as per the established work plan
- Provide legal representative services to qualifying individuals, including for civil documentation and housing, land, and property issues. Where appropriate and agreed with the Team Leader, support local advocacy and mediation for the mutual resolution of legal cases (e.g. eviction threats, property disputes).
- Assess whether selected beneficiaries qualify for financial assistance under the legal aid program fund to cover costs related to resolving legal issues.
- Update and maintain legal case files on individual developments, ensuring the timely entry of accurate data, following DRC Standard Operating Procedures and ensuring clients’ data and confidentiality are protected.
- Conduct regular visits to targeted field location and provide inputs for an up-to-date service mapping of the service providers operating in the area.
- Participate in internal and external trainings, as requested by the Economic Recovery Team Leader and Protection Team Leader.
- Maintaining constructive relationships with relevant legal entities (CAD, courts, etc.), local government institutions, and other local service providers, in coordination with the other team members; report any changes to these relationships/policies to the Protection Team Leader and Economic Recovery Team Leader.
- Remain up-to-date on legal procedure and policy developments, providing Protection Team Leader and Economic Recovery Team Leader with situation reports as needed.
- Participate in community awareness activities in communicating livelihood projects to the stakeholders and target community.
- Support Economic Recovery team with the implementation of Economic Recovery activities in Erbil when appropriate, including beneficiary registration, counselling, delivery of relevant trainings and routine monitoring activities.
- Ensure all program and legal aid activities are recorded and documented accurately and in a timely fashion on DRC Iraq’s IM system.
- Maintain legal aid case files up to date and ensure information management principles are respected at all times.
- Provide inputs to internal/external reports at the request of the Protection Team Leader and Project Manager – Protection, or to support evidence-based advocacy initiatives.
- Support MEAL team with implementation of evaluations and surveys.
- Produce activity reports as required by Economic Recovery Team Leader and Protection Team Leader.
- Support Protection Team Leader and Economic Recovery Team with administrative tasks including purchase requests to supply chain.
- Ensure compliance with DRC guidelines and policies on HR, admin, finance, and supply.
- Ensure adherence to DRC national staff policy guidelines and Code of Conduct.
- Ensure compliance with DRC AGD policy and AGD programmatic minimum standards.
- Ensuring compliance with the zero-tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy.
- Perform any other relevant tasks as requested by the Economic Recovery Team Leader and Protection Team Leader.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience in the legal sector, with experience in Companies law, Labor law & workers’ rights. Internship/work experience accrued during legal studies is also accepted.
- Experience in working with NGOs is preferred.
- Experience in facilitation of legal awareness session and the delivery of legal counseling to vulnerable groups is preferred.
- Understanding of protection principles, protection minimum standards
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and always prioritize the safety and dignity of beneficiaries.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Experience in Economic Recovery programming is desirable.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
University Degree in Law
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- English (ability to communicate and write), (candidates with contextual understanding and legal experience will be given preference over English language requirements).
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Protection Legal TL
- DRC staff
- Persons of concerns.
- Other actors working staff.
Contract length: 11 months (with the possibility of extension)
Salary Band: I
Start date: 25th of Oct, 2022.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
DRC Iraq is committed to promoting inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity, paternity leave, child sick leave and lactation break. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disability, as well as representatives of minorities.
How To Apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
Closing date for applications: 16th of Oct 2022
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ng
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.