UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
April 20, 2023
Terms of Reference
(1) Experience in working with Afghan refugees;
(2) Good knowledge/ proficiency in Dari/ Pashtoun languages (main language communicated by Afghans);
(3) Good skills in working with excel, KOBO and survey related tools;
Standard Job Description
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Receptionist will assist in organizing and coordinating the reception area of UNHCR Office. The incumbent has no supervisory role and will always function under the direct supervision of a (Senior) Associate or an Officer who is required to monitor the performance of the incumbent and provide regular guidance.
The incumbent will have internal contacts within UNHCR with staff members and focal points from different units and with external parties for exchange of information and reception of visitors.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Visitors and persons of concern have a full and fair access to UNHCR staff and services while approaching the reception for different purposes and their privacy is respected.
– Receive, screen and assist visitors/clients and escorts them to responsible officer concerned. Adopt tactful attitude to inform and convince interlocutors to accept unforeseen situations, such as waiting longer than expected, meet with a different officer than expected or accepting the cancellation of an appointment.
– Answer to incoming calls and transfer calls to concerned officer and/or take messages or provide general information, understanding the importance and the confidentiality of the issues treated.
– Receive and transmit verbal and written messages to appropriate officer/office/Unit/Department.
– Record the incoming and outgoing mail and manage internal courier distribution, as appropriate. Register/keep records of visitors/clients, as requested.
– Utilise office equipment (telephone, fax, radio, computer¿) when necessary.
– Perform any other clerical duty that may be required.
– Identify which individuals or groups to be prioritized at the reception based on vulnerability and other criteria specified by the supervisor.
– Decide on information contained in the weekly and daily reports submitted to the supervisor.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G3 – 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Good knowledge of proGres (HCR database for registration of refugees, returnees and displaced persons).
IT-IT Refugee Systems & Applications
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test and/or Interview.
No late application will be accepted.
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member/Affiliate/Intern is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.