You will have the ability to create positive change by being Amnesty International’s lead exert on Libya. You will lead on the development and implementation of research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities.
As a strong candidate, you will be an expert in Libya and the Middle East region with a demonstrated commitment to human rights and you will have proven experience working with Libya. You will be able to demonstrate your ability to identify critical issues and practise rigorous analysis, and express it clearly and concisely in writing; maintain and develop effective networks; effectively represent an organization externally and communicate its key messages; and produce high-quality written reports and other materials for publication and internal use. You are proficient in English and Arabic.
- To lead on the development and implementation of overarching research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities for Libya.
- To monitor, research, investigate and analyse human rights-related developments in order to provide timely, accurate, independent and impartial assessments and expert advice on the human rights situation for Libya and thematic areas.
- To lead field research on information-gathering, fact-finding, analysis and assessment of human rights concerns, including in response to crisis situations; prepare, security assessments, political and other briefings in relation to the mission for International Secretariat management, mission participants and internal or external stakeholders; and represent Amnesty International in the field.
- To represent Amnesty International to external stakeholders including the press, governments and general public.
- To develop and maintain effective relationships with external parties such as government, press, other human rights organisations and the UN.
- To write reports and other materials for publication and internal use and contribute to and provide expert advice in relation to written and other materials produced by other programmes
- To manage research, oversee the research work carried out by the team and others.
- To contribute to the development of sub-regional and region-wide strategies and plans for research and campaigning and input to Amnesty International’s Mission and Values.
- Assist in developing the team and its work, through setting priorities, preparing work plans, monitoring their progress and contributing to maintaining basic budgets.
- To perform all necessary administrative tasks to ensure the smooth running of the team.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proven experience of undertaking research on human rights or related issues;
- Specialist, first hand knowledge of Libya and an understanding of the nature of key human rights concerns, as well as political, social, legal, economic, cultural, ethnic, racial and gender issues in them;
- Ability to exercise good political judgment;
- Ability to represent Amnesty International to external stakeholders;
- Proven experience of writing research materials for a variety of audiences;
- Ability to understand and express ideas in English and Arabic in a fluent, clear and concise way;
- Ability to deal in a sensitive and understanding manner with a variety of people, including survivors of human rights violations and others who may be distressed;
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams;
- Experience of managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities;
- Ability and willingness to undertake personal administrative tasks in accordance with Amnesty International’s guidelines on self-servicing;
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
Benefits include 37 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays and grace days), pension scheme, employee assistance programme, life assurance and many more benefits designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional, engaging environment.
For further information on our benefits, please visit https://www.amnesty.org/en/careers/benefits/
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role’ below.
Amnesty International encourages candidates from all over the world to apply, subject to visa requirements, a relocation package can be offered.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let’s get to work.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.