Position Title: Safeguarding Consultant (ECRP)
Duty station: Juba, South Sudan with frequent field travel
Duration of Consultancy: Six months with possibility of extension
Closing Date: October 17, 2022
Organizational Context and Scope
IOM in South Sudan has a broad range of programming centred around three broad areas: humanitarian coordination and support; humanitarian response and resilience; and peacebuilding, transition, and development. Humanitarian coordination and support includes leading/co-leading the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) Clusters, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and management of WASH and Shelter and NFI core-pipelines, humanitarian hubs and common transport services. Humanitarian response and resilience includes CCCM, WASH, Shelter & NFI, health, protection, gender equality and inclusion, mental health and psychosocial support and the management of a Rapid Response Fund. Under peacebuilding, transition and development, IOM South Sudan implements programming on housing, land and property issues, transition and recovery, transhumance conflict prevention, community-based violence reduction, community development and migration management.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (Community Resilience and Disaster Risk Management) and the direct supervision of the Enhancing Community Resilience Project (ECRP) Programme Officer, the safeguarding consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Roll out the Environmental and Social Management Framework in consultation with the ECRP Project Management Unit (PMU), World Bank and relevant stakeholders
- Prepare Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs), Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs), and Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs) for small and medium scale infrastructure subprojects in line with ESMF as needed.
- Provide support to environmental and social screening processes of site-specific activities
- Monitor and report on environmental and social indicators in the project’s ESMF and sub-project specific ESMPs
- Conduct field supervisory and data collection missions
- Ensure that appropriate environmental and social instruments and tools are applied during all implementation phases, and by all involved partners, as set out on the ESMF.
- Lead in compiling data and monitoring of the Project Grievance Redress Mechanisms (GRM)
- Ensure that appropriate environmental and social mitigation measures are proposed and met, as defined in the ESMF;
- Meet regularly with IOM community engagement and local governance teams to discuss safeguards in the context of community engagement and mobilization processes.
- Lead in triggering and overseeing the implementation of environmental and social correction measures by IOM team
- Support the development and delivery of a series of spot checks to ensure mitigation measures are properly implemented in line with the guidelines;
- Support the compiling of quarterly and annual reports on environmental and social risks, impacts, and mitigation measures, as per outline in the ESMF.
- Ensure familiarity with M&E data and review such data and reporting to identify possible safeguard issues that may otherwise be overlooked
- Prepare reports related to maintaining environmental and social standards – as per outline provided in the ESMF
- Handle additional assignments as directed by the Senior Program Coordinator the implementation of safeguarding instruments, such as the GBV/SEA and Child Protection Action Plan
- Incorporate all safeguards monitoring results in the regular project progress reports
Operations and Implementation
- Identify challenges, opportunities, priorities and needs for the implementation of the ESMF
- Support the undertaking of monitoring and evaluation missions, as defined in the ESMF, to ensure capturing of all risks and impacts, as well as ensure that mitigation measures are implemented.
- Carry out training and capacity building on environmental and social safeguarding tools and frameworks, especially for team members, field teams, and implementing partners (contractors)
- Sensitize project affected families/ communities on the critical social and environmental safeguards matters and key policies.
Impact of Results
- ESMF is implemented successfully
- Grievance redress systems are in place and functional during project implementation.
- All field teams are well-versed in issues regarding environmental and social standards
- Reporting of all environmental and social safeguard issues are done
Experience and Education
- Master’s degree in Environmental and Social sustainability assessment and management, Environmental Sciences, or related fields (including Ecology, Natural Resources Management, Geosciences, Social Sciences etc.) from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience.
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Work experience in environmental and social impact assessments, environmental and social audits, legal and policy review, and formulation of project action plans for environmental and social
- safeguard management in projects financed by international donor agencies .
- Proven experience with WB Environmental and Social Frameworks is an advantage
- Proven ability to advise and support project environmental and social assessment and preparation
- Experience of working in conflict-affected countries is an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills
- Conversant with relevant international and national environmental and social laws.
- Knowledge of local dynamics and national legal systems is an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience of ICT-based Office applications and tools (word processing, spreadsheets and data processing, and PowerPoint)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a motivation letter and their Curriculum Vitae to [email protected] by 17 October, 2022 , indicating in the subject of the e‐mail “Safeguarding Consultant ”.