Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts.
INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO works in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries with its headquarters in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
Afghanistan is where INSO began in 2002 as a joint-organisation initiative before becoming an independent NGO in 2011. INSO Afghanistan provides services to more than 260 national and international NGOs from our Country Office in Kabul and six field offices in Kandahar, Khost, Jalalabad, Kunduz, Mazar-e Sharif and Herat. Afghanistan remains one of the most complex environments for humanitarians; it is unpredictable and there is a chronic reliance on aid and capacity building. These complexities make Afghanistan one of the most challenging and rewarding countries to work.
Safety Advisor positions are highly rewarding roles, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close-knit team giving security analysis and advice that is not only some of the best of its kind, but that is also vital to the efforts of the NGO community to deliver aid and assistance to the thousands of people who need it. As Safety Advisor- Mobile, you will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice, communicate to an excellent standard of English both verbally and in writing, and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
You will be based in Kabul with travel to the field and will report to the Deputy Director.
- Establish and maintain an active information network which includes the United Nations (UN), NGOs, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA), etc. to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through; daily incident alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Manage a small office team, including supervising national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Fluency in English.
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Strong writing and proven analytical abilities.
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles and their application.
- Recent experience in Afghanistan – ideally in an NGO safety role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the security dynamics and context.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
Key Personal Competencies
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A people manager
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions:
Twelve-month contract, €4,550 per month salary, 4 days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every two months with €1,250 R&R allowance each cycle, accommodation, global medical coverage (excluding USA) and AD&D insurance.
How to apply
Please send the following to [email protected] and reference “SA Mobile” in the subject line of the email:
- a Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO.
- an updated résumé/CV.
- one relevant and substantive writing sample, which demonstrates your analytical and reporting abilities (10 pages max).
Please do not send any additional information. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.