Mercy Corps - KRI
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
Mercy Corps has been present in the Middle East since the 1980s and currently works in Yemen, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, Syria, and Iraq. Mercy Corps’ teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
General Position Summary
Under the management of the Regional Media & Communications Manager – Middle East, the Senior Communications Coordinator will bring creative new approaches to implement an internal communications strategy for the Middle East region that communicates the organization’s Pathway to Possibility strategy and vision; promotes internal dialogue and strengthens Mercy Corps’ culture. The Senior Communications Coordinator will support Mercy Corps’ ongoing programming in the Middle East through strategy development, coordination, design, and content production for internal and external communication. They will produce strong, well-designed communications products; support the planning and implementation of key communications components of ongoing programming; liaise with local, national, and global stakeholders, and ensure that Mercy Corps’ branding and communication guidelines are uniformly and consistently adhered to.
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY, AND VISION
- Collaborate with Mercy Corps teams across the Middle East, including regional leadership, Country Directors, Program Managers and global communications team members, to identify and draft communication strategies to engage key target audiences and address specific communications needs.
- Ensure accurate and engaging representation of Mercy Corps in external and internal documents and communications materials, translating technical jargon into approachable language.
- Provide consultation for country-level communications members on matters of internal and donor communications, assisting with information, tools and resources to improve performance and reach objectives in alignment with regional and global priorities.
- Collaborate with leadership to reinforce Mercy Corps’ culture and employee engagement, and influence and coach the team on effective communication.
- Collaborate with country teams in applying and maintaining Mercy Corps’ brand identity and parameters in all written and audio-visual materials.
- Serve as point person for employee communications for Mercy Corps in the Middle East in coordination with the regional communications manager and global communications team on various issues.
- Write, edit, and distribute communications work plans and supporting materials such as country talking points, fact sheets, success stories and blogs used for internal and external audiences.
- Work with Regional Media & Communications Manager, Country Directors and program teams to identify and recommend story ideas based on data analysis and learning generated from programs.
- Elevate the profile of the Middle East region within the broader organization through the development and distribution of dedicated communication products such as a quarterly regional newsletter.
- Maintain the ability to respond quickly to current events with a strong sense of urgency in recommending and implementing communications plans.
- Conduct media scans and monitor, document and disseminate Mercy Corps Middle East media coverage, as needed.
- Build up and maintain a database of all visual materials produced by Mercy Corps Middle East such as messaging documents, photos, videos, infographics and logos.
- Support country and programmatic officers on required donor communications.
- Support fundraising team in drafting “Communications and Outreach” sections for funding proposals.
- Support developing materials for specific programs, campaigns and outreach, to help advance programmatic goals.
- Consult and coordinate with country teams on a regular basis to have the latest updates on the programs and scoop communications opportunities.
- Stay current on best practices in internal communications strategies across industries.
- Maintain communications vendor network contact list to support country or program team requests that do not fall within regional communications priorities.
- Work closely with the regional team to support and address specific communication needs.
- Provide feedback and input to global marketing and communications initiatives as required.
- Ensure all activities are gender sensitive and follow Mercy Corps’ Gender Equity Policy
- Apply Do No Harm standards to ensure activities do not have detrimental effects on vulnerable communities.
- Participate in internal office coordination and planning meetings and workshops.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Regional Media & Communications Manager – Middle East
Works Directly With: Middle East Regional Team, Country Directors and Deputy Country Directors, Directors of Programs and Programs, HQ, and regional communications teams.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, Journalism, Public Relations or another relevant field
- At least five years of experience in communications and media work, preferably in the international development or humanitarian sector.
- Strong understanding of the Middle East region context.
- Excellent written and verbal English and Arabic skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a geographically dispersed team.
- Strong project management and organization skills, and ability to work independently and take initiative under pressure in a rapidly changing, multi-cultural context, whilst adhering to strict deadlines.
- Willingness to learn, grow and collaborate with others.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field.
The successful Senior Communications Coordinator will be bright, energetic, hard-working and eager to learn. They will take a deep personal interest in humanitarian and development assistance. They will be attentive to detail and able to carry out assigned tasks in a timely manner and according to a very high standard of quality. They will be creative and flexible, contributing to developing and encouraging new and innovative solutions, but at the same time will not have any difficulty in adhering to systems and procedures. They will strictly follow all protocols related to safety and security, and hold themselves accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Mercy Corps’ values.
Living Conditions/ Environmental Conditions
This position can be based in Lebanon, Palestine, Iraq or Jordan. Travel is estimated at 10% of the time, including to Mercy Corps program locations, which may be in remote and insecure locations. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed on or visiting an international posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How To Apply
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES:
Successful candidates should meet the education and experience requirements in the position descriptions for the vacant positions. S/he must be self- motivated, creative, tolerant, and able to work in challenging, stressful environments and follow Mercy Corps procedures. S/he must respect diversity and gender equality at the workplace. Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability and transparency to its beneficiaries and to international standards guiding relief and development work.
For those interested and meet the required criteria, please click HERE to apply.
ALL APPLICATIONS/ CVs SHOULD BE RECEIVED BY July 4th ,2023. at 16:00.
Mercy Corps will review CV’s and applications on a rolling basis (i.e., as applications are submitted).
Potential Candidates for the post will be contacted for an interview and processed according to Mercy Corps Human Resources policies and procedures. As soon as qualified candidates are identified the positions will be closed automatically. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for potential interview. Any documents submitted will remain with Mercy Corps and will not be returned to candidates.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply for this position. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global Impact. Mercy Corps Iraq offers a variety of arrangements that enable women to excel in their careers. Mercy Corps Iraq ensures a safe and inclusive working environment for women and men through field security training and measures to provide secure working arrangements on-site and in the office.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.