Alliance Bioversity International - CIAT
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Job no: 559108
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duty Station: Amman
Categories: Executive Management
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Commitments
[Include information about the country/specific programme. Ideally include a link to a video]
How can you make a difference?
1. Administrative, executive assistance and programme support services to the Representative to facilitate smooth running of the Office and effective processing of information and data.
• Helps manage the immediate office operations with respect to communications, meetings, and workflow; identifies complex or sensitive subjects, and contacts, for special treatment as well as priority issues that need to be brought to the supervisor’s attention. As appropriate, provides information and guidance to staff at all levels within the organizational unit to ensure understanding of intent and deadlines.
• Establishes internal tracking systems and procedures for correspondence and documents; monitor work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor.
• Arranges appointments and maintains Representative’s calendar, receiving high ranking visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers inquiries; Organizes high-level meetings including taking responsibility for finalization of the meeting agenda, invitations, the production and distribution of documentation, and preparation of minutes of meetings. Distribute meeting reports and information and ensure follow-up on required actions.
• Organizes and facilitates the administrative work of the office including establishing internal procedures and tracking systems for correspondence and documents: receives screens and registers correspondence and documents.
• Collects and prepare briefing materials for Representative concerning official trips or special meetings. Undertake travel arrangements for supervisor, including arranging the itinerary, visas, and hotel reservations. Ensure offices are informed of travel arrangements and requirements. Brief supervisor of important developments upon their return.
2. Professional image projected through in-person and telephone interaction. Discretion exercised with confidential information and complex sensitive subject matter.
• Keeps abreast of activities of importance, latest policies, procedures and organizational changes affecting the team.
• Establishes and maintains a records management system containing reference materials and confidential records as required.
• Prepares briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings; drafts responses to written inquiries on a variety of routine and non-routine questions;
communicates sensitive information to senior management and coordinates responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor.
3. Effective preparation and knowledgeable delivery of correspondence/ communications, documentation and reports contributing to the achievement of work objectives
• Prepares correspondence for Representative’s signature, and may make informal translations into another official language as required. Draft non-substantive correspondence based on first-hand knowledge of work schedule or events, rough notes, or verbal instructions, for supervisor’s approval.
• Communicates sensitive information to senior level managers and coordinate responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the Representative.
• Follows up on the preparation by staff of reports, correspondence, briefing notes and other documents for the supervisor’s reference. Reviews these documents for appropriate format and style, in accordance with standard practices.
• Selects and makes pertinent abstracts and undertake searches for information as directed.
4. Well managed and effective office operations, systems and procedures that facilitate teamwork and the work of the office.
• May supervise clerical and support staff, and coordinate the secretarial service of the office. Verifies that the work is done in accordance with corporate standards and within established deadlines; monitors work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor.
• Works closely with team colleagues and provides support in the achievement of work priorities and objectives.
• Establishes follow-up system of actions taken and reports to the supervisor.
• Undertakes any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
5. Support the Front Desk with Partnership Management/Donor Relations
• Effective management and coordination of activities in connection with donors visit and supports the office with effective management of donor relations.
• Track opportunities for donor engagement visibility
• Maintain schedule of donor events, coordinate with partnerships and Programme Sections on event planning and Implementation
• Organize high-level events at UNICEF to engage donor audiences
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: Completion of Secondary School Education. High School Diploma, and business courses or other relevant disciplines
Experience: 7 years of experience in administration, programme and/or other related areas is required. Knowledge and skills in using corporate systems as well as standard office computer applications are required.
IT Skills – Computer literacy and the ability to effectively use standard office software tools and other office technology to create documentation, exchange, and archive e-mail, and maintain electronic filing systems.
Office Management Skills – Five years of office support work experience, including, organizing and supervising the whole range of office support and administrative activities. Ability to work with a
minimum of supervision. Ability to extract and format data and to solve operational problems. Ability to organize own and others work, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to organize meetings and events. Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships (2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (3) Drive to achieve results for impact (4) Innovates and embraces change (5) Manages ambiguity and complexity (6) Thinks and acts strategically (7) Works collaboratively with others.
[add the 8th competency (Nurtures, leads and manages people) for supervisory role]
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Issuance of a visa by the host country of the duty station, which will be facilitated by UNICEF, is required for IP positions. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: 02 Feb 2023 Jordan Standard Time
Deadline: 18 Feb 2023 Jordan Standard Time
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.