UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 11, 2023
Standard Job Description
Senior Finance Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Finance Assistant is normally supervised by a more senior finance colleague who defines work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues.
The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Maintain financial records for project or other office accounts for which responsibility is assigned.
– Record receipts and payments, assure accuracy of computation and completeness of documents and maintain continuing status of allotments against obligations.
– Prepare recurring reports on assigned accounts, noting problems resulting from excess cost or less-than-expected receipts.
– Prepare special reports to clarify problems or as requested for other reasons.
– Calculate and compile cost estimates and projected budget requirements and assist in preparation of budget statements for area of assignment.
– Prepare routine correspondence and maintain contracts with others to discuss matters concerning accounts and related assignments.
– Maintain contacts with local banks to clarify questions pertaining to office bank accounts.
– Brief and assist new staff on basic financial procedures and requirements with respect to payments, entitlements, banking and currency provisions and other requirements relating to accounts and finance.
– Initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Accounting; Business Administration; Finance; HCR Learning Prog;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other)
IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other), IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
Accounting – Other, Business Administration – Other, Finance – Other, HCR Learning Program – UNHCR
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
According to the Recruitment and Assignment Policy (RAP), the manager has the option of administrating either the eliminatory or complementary written test based on the functionality of the position.
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.