The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The WFP works in Honduras to foster and protect livelihoods and human capital, while addressing the root causes of hunger and poverty and addressing the basic needs of the most vulnerable populations in crisis situations in close collaboration with the Government and other partners in the country.
The WFP has been present in Honduras since 1970, reaching nearly 1.5 million beneficiaries annually. The WFP has a strong presence in the field, with offices and logistics structure in Tegucigalpa, Comayagua, Marcala, Santa Rosa de Copan, Choluteca, San Pedro Sula, La Ceiba, Gracias a Dios and Puerto Lempira.
At this level job holders have independent responsibility for technical, specialized work including planning, organization and coordination, and setting objectives. They deal with issues that are often undefined and involve areas of uncertainty and complex inter-relationships. The instructions received are broad and the job holders are expected to consistently demonstrate a high degree of responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries.
To support planning and coordinate the delivery of finance, budget and administration support services, and supervise and provide guidance to a team of staff ensuring transparent and efficient utilization of financial resources.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Act as an escalation point in providing procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
2. Participate in the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures, interpret and assess the impact of changes and make recommendations on follow up actions, to support setup and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls.
3. Contribute to the improvement of internal processes, enhancement of corporate systems and design of tools, to support transparent and efficient utilization of financial resources.
4. Monitor the daily cash position in order to optimize the use of surplus cash and maximize returns on investment through the liquidity portfolio.
5. Ensure that payments are processed in a timely manner, resolve complex issues relating to the disbursement or replenishment of funds in line with WFP rules and regulations.
6. Contribute to the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, monitor expenditure and budget forecasts, to ensure that relevant future funding requirements are met.
7. Co-ordinate with other teams in order to ensure that all financial and administrative services are being performed efficiently and in line with the needs of the wider team.
8. Monitor account balances and oversee the recording of financial transactions in an accurate and timely manner to avoid the occurrence of an overdraft.
9. Monitor, control and analyse general ledger accounts in order to initiate and achieve corrective actions.
10. Prepare and analyse financial and statistical reports based on the established frequency and provide recommendations for further actions to the Finance Officer or other staff, to facilitate informed decision-making.
11. Co-ordinate and supervise work of other support staff, and support their learning and development in management of financial resources (e.g. managing the petty cash/sub-imprest account, review and analyse vendor and balance sheet accounts, etc.), to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
12. Remain on stand-by at all times and follow standard emergency preparedness practices in order to meet immediate emergency requirements for further service on job and in the field.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: Seven years of experience in a related area.
Language: Fluency in Spanish and working knowledge of English.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has experience analysing, interpreting data and generating reports at national level.
• Coached and trained a new staff member in the RM function.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position: Senior Finance Associate
Type of position: Full Time.
Type of Contact: Fixed Term – level 7 (FT G7)
Duration on Contract: 12 months with the possibility of extension, based on organizational requirements.
Duty Station: Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
Position open to citizens of Honduras and residents with work permit.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application should be submitted by November 12, 2023. Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered and only short-listed qualified candidates will receive an acknowledgment.
Link to apply:
How to apply
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.