Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, non-profit, humanitarian organization. Since the onset of the war in Ukraine, we have seen a large-scale of displacement of Ukrainians fleeing to the neighboring countries. In response to this, NRC is in the process of setting up humanitarian operations for refugees arriving in Poland, Romania and Moldova. We are focusing on an integrated approach that combines our sectoral areas of expertise – education, protection, urban displacement outside camps, legal aid (ICLA) and shelter – with the needs of a mobile refugee population, working to a great extent through local partners.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Protection Coordinator based in Warsaw. The purpose of the Protection Coordinator is to ensure the transit site, and different service providers at the site, respect protection and safeguarding standards. The Protection Coordinator will be the technical lead for protection concerns and programming on the transit site.
Below is the general person profile that we are seeking:
- Support the transit site coordination meetings to raise and address protection concerns.
- Provide training to staff, volunteers, and service providers on key protection topics.
- Lead in the development of protection-focused guidelines for the site, including selection criteria for service providers, referral pathways on-site and external, rules for visitors, etc.
- Work closely with the city reception team, volunteers, and service providers to ensure that beneficiaries are provided with the full packages of services available at the site.
- Support the identification and referrals of vulnerable cases.
- Undertake regular monitoring and risk assessment of the condition of the site.
- Proactively share ideas for improvement in relation to both the “hard” and “soft” components of the transit site, as they pertain to protection concerns.
- Ensure that services be accessible to groups/persons with specific needs to minimize risk of violence, abuse, exploitation and marginalization.
- Collect data and figures from service providers on the site and share them with relevant stakeholders.
- Promote and facilitate accountability toward beneficiary populations through the setting up of a complaint and feedback mechanism.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines as well Government rules and regulations.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the NRC Protection PDM.
What we are looking for:
Your passion, skills, and experience can make a big difference. This mission would be a start-up in a challenging, emergency context in Europe.
- Substantial experience in humanitarian/emergency context in a Coordination role
- Experience in working with local partners and in protection
- Experience working in a start-up mission
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Additional language skills (Polish, Ukrainian, or Russian) is an asset.
- Ability to be agile and to adapt to a continuously developing crisis
What We Offer
- Duty Station: Warsaw (Poland)
- Contract: up to Dec 2022 national contract with the possibility of extension depending on funding.
- NRC’s Salary Scale: NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Start date: Immediately – within the next few weeks
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
“EU nationals and those with the right to work in Poland will be prioritized”
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this internship posting.