UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 11, 2023
Standard Job Description
Senior Travel Administration Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The incumbent serves staff members going on mission/official travel and therefore deals with different UNHCR entities as well as external counterparts; the extensive customer exposure encompasses counterparts in other UN agencies, UNHCR field offices, and travel management companies.
The Senior Travel Administration Assistant has a strong sense of service-orientation towards travellers and developing teamwork relations beyond boundaries of the functional unit.
This job entails as well a significant portion of financial accountability by ensuring compliance with the UNHCR travel policies and triggering confirmation of reservations to the travel agent(s) and payment of travel entitlements to traveller(s).
The Senior Travel Administration Assistant communicates regularly with travellers, requiring a positive, knowledgeable solution oriented and service minded approach. To ensure smooth administrative support to travellers, it is of utmost importance that the incumbent is able to work under pressure in an accurate manner and limited supervision.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Arrange and confirm travel bookings for applicable staff members, Affiliate Workforce and external meeting participants in line with the rules and regulations in place,
– Creates and processes Travel Authorization (TA), Travel Advances and Travel Claims in accordance with the relevant administrative rules and regulations; respond to any queries and/or comments from the certifying or approving officer
– Advise and assist staff on their travel entitlements, needed documentation and matters pertaining to travel as per operating administrative instructions and procedures.
– Liaise with Finance on payments due from Partners, UN Agencies, staff and other Organisations.
– Advise and assist staff on their travel entitlements, needful documentation and matters pertaining to travel as per operating administrative instructions and procedures.
– Prepare, summarise, and submit invoices for payment of travel related services procured.
– Assist in medical evacuations as required.
– Provide/share required information or data which may be useful for the safety/security of concerned travellers.
– Submit requests and subsequently ensure the issuance of appropriate travel identification documents, in accordance with UN rules and regulations. Initiate requests for visas
– Maintain the filing systems for UN travel identification documents.
– May process emergency visa requests required for official travel and ensure their timely issuance.
– Provide statistics of UN travel documents and visas.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Logistics, Air Operation, Business Administration
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Familiarity with Oracle-PeopleSoft or other ERP system.
Good knowledge of UN, UNHCR, other international organization or private sector Travel Policies and Procedures.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Very good knowledge of Excel.
Knowledge in UNHCR Logistics rules, procedures and processes.
Knowledge in air and travel agencies booking systems i.e. Galileo, Amadeus etc is an asset.
Knowledge in how to calculate air tariffs, ticket refunds and cost comparison between routes and airlines is an asset.
TV-Amadeus – Global Distribution System
TV-Galileo – Global Distribution System
UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CO-Cross-cultural communication, TV-Amadeus – Global Distribution System, TV-Galileo – Global Distribution System, UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
Air Operations – Other, Business Administration – Other, Logistics – Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Negotiation & conflict resolution, Organizational awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
According to the Recruitment and Assignment Policy (RAP), the manager has the option of administrating either the eliminatory or complementary written test based on the functionality of the position.
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.