Alzheimer Society of Chatham-Kent
The Alzheimer Society of Chatham-Kent is an independent and not-for profit charitable organization in Chatham, Ontario that provides supports and services for those affected by Alzheimer’s Disease or related dementias. For over 35 years, we have had a strong commitment to collaborating with our community partners and our mission: to improve the quality of life of people affected by Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias through education, outreach, effective programming and research. Programming includes but is not limited to, 2 locations of Adult Day Programs, In-Home Respite, First Link Care Navigation and support, Education and Behavioural Supports Ontario. We are currently searching for a Contract Registered Social Worker.
The Contract Registered Social Worker is responsible for providing ongoing navigation, counselling, education and support for those persons affected by Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias in keeping with the Chapter’s vision, mission, and goals and in accordance with the OCSWSSW Code of Ethics. The Social Worker will also have responsibilities associated with the In-Home Respite Care Program and Day Programs.
· Reports directly to the First Link Care Navigator/Manager
· Conducts assessments (interRAI CHA and Social Work)
· Individual and group counseling both in-home, in the office or virtually
· Administers cognitive assessments including the MMSE and MoCA
· Works collaboratively with the Day Program Manager, In-Home Respite Supervisor/Coordinator, Public Education Coordinator and all other members of the staff to ensure the best care for clients and care partners
· Support clients in navigating the system to access appropriate learning opportunities, support services, care and resources as identified in their individualized plan of service
· Consults and liaises with other disciplines and community partners to establish appropriate intervention plans and referrals
· Facilitates Care Partner Support Groups
· Develops and maintains effective relationships with community partners including Behavioural Supports Ontario (BSO), Primary Care, Home and Community Care, CKHA, GMHOT and more
· Advocates for clients and caregivers within the agency and the community
· Maintains and reports to the manager, legacy Local Health Integration Network statistics
· Abides by the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice as set forth by the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
· Valid driver’s license
· Access to a dependable vehicle
· Flexibility in work schedule (occasional evening and weekend hours required)
· Flexibility to work from home depending on pandemic situation including adequate access to secure Wifi
· Current registration in good standing with the College of Social Work and Social Services Workers
· Training in Gentle Persuasive Approaches (GPA) an asset
· All staff are required to follow Ministry of Health directives inclusive of wearing a mask and other potential PPE depending on potential exposure while on-site. A pandemic plan is in place inclusive of screening, testing and vaccination policies.
· MSW or BSW with equivalent experience
· Knowledge and work experience in the field of Gerontology, specifically with those affected by Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias
· Knowledge of the legacy Local Health Integration Network and reporting mechanisms
· Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs including WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT, OUTLOOK and WEB-BASED RESEARCH
· A solid understanding and application of confidentiality and boundaries and adherence to PHIPA
· Strong and fair communication skills
Commitment to Equitable Recruitment:
The Alzheimer Society welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity and social justice and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, Black and persons of colours, persons with disabilities, people living with dementia, care partners and those who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
Please apply by Wednesday, January 11th, 2023 with COVER LETTER and RESUME by clicking on the link to apply.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
All staff and clients to abide by all Infection Prevention and Control Policies inclusive of federal, provincial and local directives.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Chatham-Kent, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- dementia care: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.