About the team/job
The Protein Function development team is a very dynamic and interdisciplinary team comprising talented and enthusiastic software engineers, bioinformaticians and scientists. It develops the world leading Universal Protein Resource (UniProt), the Gene Ontology Annotation and Enzyme resources. The UniProt resource is one of the most internationally used protein databases serving a large and diverse research community in genomics, proteins and proteomics.
Proteins are the building blocks of life and knowing how they function in the cells of living organisms gives us an insight on their health and disease states.
In this role you will develop production software, create technical documents, take part in the daily Scrum meeting, as well as communicate with other teams at EMBL–EBI and/or with our international collaboration partners. Scalability will be an important feature of your clear, concise, well tested and documented code. You will also be interested in applying analytic engines and technical approaches to distributed processing of big data. The ability to work towards tight deadlines is essential.
We are looking for a Software engineer with a strong record in software development and interested in solving scientific questions related to Big data in biology. The successful candidate will be working in the organization and integration of key information about the immune system in the UniProt database. This is a challenging and scientifically important project which requires strong software development skills.
- Design, development, test, document and maintenance of production software
- Support and maintain the resource production and service release
- Engage and coordinate work with different teams in the organization and with international collaborators
- Assist with innovative programming and big data technologies
- Assist with programming standards to promote best practices
- A degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Life Sciences or a related discipline
- At least 2 years of working experience in software using Java
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-orientated environment
- Familiarity with SQL and relational database design principles, Unix shell scripting
- Understanding of good coding practices and approaches (OOP, IoC, automated testing, clean code principles, code review)
- Familiar with standard development tools (continuous integration e.g. Jenkins, build management e.g. Maven, and source code management systems e.g. GIT, etc).
You might also have
- knowledge of front-end libraries (e.g. React)
- familiarity with data visualisation concepts
- Experience working in bioinformatics and biological resource development would be an advantage
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL–EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL–EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL–EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system.