Michigan State University
Back to search results Apply now Job no:817633
Work type:Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Engineering
Department: Engineering Dean 10016256
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories:Advising/Counseling, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union, Remote-Friendly
Michigan State University seeks an Academic Specialist-Advisor. The Academic Specialist-Advisor will perform the following job duties:
- Advise and support a diverse population of high achieving undergraduate students in Engineering.
- Serve as an academic advisor to first- and second-year Mechanical Engineering students.
- Perform full range of advising activities including summer academic orientation, course planning, success in studies, referrals to other support services (tutoring, career placement, counseling, etc.)
- Working individually with students to help them understand and begin to overcome any personal, social, or behavioral issues that are impacting their academic success.
- Effectively manage high stress/high achieving student issues and concerns.
- Conduct intrusive and intensive individual counseling sessions with students in academic jeopardy to identify and address factors affecting their academic performance.
- Perform intensive student academic advising to track progress toward University and College degree requirements using online record systems.
- Must be comfortable interacting with these online systems, or learn them quickly, and share responsibility recording individualized student programs for our approximately 5800 Engineering undergraduate students.
- Keep accurate student records, document interactions with students and information provided per MSU’s institutional guidelines.
- Performs research and/or statistical work as assigned.
- Provide reports on activities in this position and indicate how actions have adhered to university guidelines.
- Confer with other staff, faculty, and potentially parents on individual student situations when appropriate.
- Consult with faculty advisors and instructors in all Engineering departments.
- Coordinates New Student Orientation (NSO) for the College of Engineering; liaises with the MSU NSO Office; schedules advisors and maintains services to deliver NSO content both online and in person; advises incoming and transfer students.
- Coordinate selected opportunities for engineering students, such as seminar, international experiences, scholarships; providing intentional advising and wrap-around support services for specific populations of Engineering students (e.g. international students, students from different socio-economic backgrounds, non-traditional students, underrepresented populations, and/or first generation students, etc.).
- Develop, implement and support diversity and inclusion initiatives and programming within the college, leadership of coordination of other programs-as assigned. Assist in development and implementation of programs for enhancing student retention, success, and satisfaction. Some advising and recruiting activities involving evening and weekends.
- This position requires teaching. Potential offerings include seminars for students, student leadership courses and/or related content.
- Stay current on applicable laws, policies and procedures such as FERPA.
- Assist in other duties related to the mission of the College.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Higher Education Administration
- One year of experience advising or counseling College students and liaising with other advisors and faculty.
- Must have experience with providing support services and coordinating co-curricular opportunities for undergraduates from diverse backgrounds.
- Must have experience with database management and interactive web applications.
Required Application Materials
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references
- One to two-page written statement outlining commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at:
For more information, visit https://www.egr.msu.edu/academics/undergraduate
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised:Oct 4, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close:Oct 4, 2024 Eastern Daylight Time
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.