Wayne Action Group for Economic Solvency
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Department: Division of Children and Families Administration
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports To: Controller
Salary Range: $50,000 – $55,000 annually
The Staff Accountant position will report to the Controller and will be part of the Fiscal Team headed by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The Staff Accountant will be part of the team to prepare and maintain financial records, to track the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liabilities, and other related duties as required. This position requires efficient, effective communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to provide information to the Fiscal Team.
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with at least three (3) years of progressive experience working in a non-profit organization with state and federal funding sources.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs general cost accounting and other related duties for the organization.
- Work with the Controller in preparing monthly balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements and serve as a backup if needed.
- Helps to maintains the general ledger.
- Keypunch general ledger entries, post, and file accurately.
- Assist the Fiscal Team as needed in coding invoices, setting up new accounts, reconciling accounts, and closing the monthly books and serve as a backup if needed.
- Assists the Controller in reconciling bank accounts at least monthly, verifies deposits, and addresses inquiries from banks and serve as a backup if needed.
- Assist the Fiscal Team as needed in reconciling cash disbursement accounts, payroll, customer accounts, and other financial accounts; manages accounts receivable collections and serve as a backup if needed.
- Serve as backup to verify and/or complete payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts if needed.
- Assist the Fiscal Team as needed to provide outside auditors and monitors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audits.
- Serve as backup to provide accurate benefit enrollment/changes of all employees in the payroll system
- Transmit employer and employee contributions and/or loan payments to the retirement plan.
- Transmit direct deposit payroll, stipend/travel, vendor payments, and payroll taxes after approval.
- Prepare and Files tax forms with federal, state, and local government agencies including W-2s, 1099s, sales and use tax refund reports, etc.
- Serve as a backup in managing the purchasing and invoicing system.
- Upload ACH payments and electronic files to a secured banking system
- Serve as back-up to the Accounting and Payroll Technician
- Maintains knowledge of acceptable accounting practices and procedures.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining professional networks.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of general financial accounting and cost accounting.
- Understanding of and the ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ability to correctly prepare tax reports.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, and accounting software.
Physical, Mental and/or Visual Demands
- May be required to lift, carry, push or pull up to 25 pounds.
- Frequently requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, squatting, kneeling, and reaching.
- Mental and visual concentration required for preparing and analyzing data using a computer.
This position description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the individual assigned to this position and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It does not state or implies these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the position. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties.
All requirements are subject to change and possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
- Monitoring company accounts and conducting quarterly reviews
- Accounts payable
- Accounts receivable
- Profit-and-loss statements
- Tax preparation
- Expense reports
- Internal audits for policy adherence
- Presenting budgets and reports to upper management
- Waiting period may apply
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 – $55,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- accounting: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.