UNV - United Nations Volunteers
Mission and objectives
Since its inception in 1972, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has been the global authority that sets the environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, UNEP works through its divisions as well as regional, liaison and out-posted offices and a growing network of collaborating centres of excellence.
The 10 Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production Patterns (10YFP), adopted by Heads of State at the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20) in 2012, is a global framework for action to accelerate the shift towards Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) in both developed and developing countries. UNEP was mandated by the UN General Assembly to serve as the Secretariat of the 10YFP. As reflected in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the 10YFP plays a central role in achieving the shift to SCP: its implementation is the first target of Sustainable Development Goal 12 on “Ensuring sustainable consumption and production”; the 10YFP is also recognized as the Framework of reference for decoupling economic growth from environmental degradation in SDG8. The 10YFP generates impact through multi-stakeholder programmes and partnerships, which develop, replicate, and scale up SCP policies and practices at all levels and which form together the One Planet network (www.oneplanetnetwork.org).
Stakeholder engagement is an essential aspect of the 10YFP implementation and is at the core of the One Planet network’s new strategy. It talks to the core functions of the 10YFP, including fostering increased cooperation and networking, engaging all stakeholders with a focus on including various stakeholders, the youth, the private sector, and high-impact economic sectors, promoting the added value of SCP with regards to socio-economic development and environmental sustainability, and providing a platform for knowledge and experience sharing. As such, stakeholder engagement through digital engagement, moderation, conversations, and discussion, for key forums and events and the digital platform, is an integral part of the 10YFP Secretariat’s Programme of Work in UNEP, which aims at providing a common global space to “reduce fragmentation and support synergies between the responses to various economic, environmental and social challenges in activities related to sustainable consumption and production […], while avoiding duplication of existing international and regional initiatives, keeping in mind the progress made and challenges remaining”, as per the UN General Assembly mandate that established the 10YFP.
The Stakeholder and Community Management Specialist will support the 10YFP Secretariat in coordinating substantive and logistics efforts around the mapping, consolidation, and engagement of existing and potential stakeholders across the One Planet Network and other initiatives/communities implementing the 10YFP, SDG12, and the 2030 Agenda, in the context of strategic forums and events, and more broadly in the service of the above objectives
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Head of the 10YFP Secretariat or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV – Stakeholder and Community Engagement Specialist will:
Support the coordination of the implementation of pilar 4 of the Global Strategy for SCP
• Ensure the key stakeholders of the One Planet Network, including enabling and sectoral programmes and other related initiatives/platforms, are engaged and active in the Global Platform;
• Ensure that additional stakeholders, targeted from key sectors, industries, and outside of the current partners, especially from among the youth and the private sector discover and engage in OPN and the Global Platform.
Support broader stakeholder engagement, including the media, across the One Planet network and related initiatives/communities, including the private sector:
• Continuously update and apply the stakeholder mapping tool, taking into account existing and prospective partners as per the strategic objectives of the OPN (including tags by region, topic, language, interest, and online media channel);
• Integrate and maintain the stakeholder mapping and the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform of the Secretariat, in close cooperation with the communication and dissemination lead into the Global Platform.
• Curate and manage the online database, provide regular updates, approvals, and input of data. Building on his/her experience, provide feedback on the CRM functionalities, features, and potential development for stakeholder engagement.
• Develop and integrate the stakeholder mapping tool “stakeholder gaps”, including strategic prospective stakeholders, with a view to identifying and reaching out to new targets and audiences, in line with the OPN strategic objectives.
• Provide support/guidance to the team members of the Secretariat for stakeholder engagement.
Assist in the communication management, community promotion, stakeholder onboarding, and the delivery of stakeholder features of the Global Platform, especially but not exclusively in the context of the Global Dialogue and the One Planet Network Forum:
• Support the organization of regular exchanges, discussions, and online meetings, provide meeting materials, and collect inputs from partners for inclusion in the Global Dialogue;
• Provide ongoing support to the stakeholders of the Global Platform, logistical or content, aligned alongside the flagship initiatives and other key topics of the Global Dialogue and the OPN Forum:
Conduct research and deliver proposals to the programme and initiative leads for stakeholder and target audiences’ engagement, identify potential key actors, (governments, NGOs, UN agencies, private sector organizations), taking into account stakeholder and regional balance and engage them in discussion with key OPN experts on a selected topic.
Establish and activate target stakeholder lists in close cooperation with the Secretariat team, actively reach out to them in the most appropriate format, follow up with them, and provide regular reports on confirmed OPN memberships and their activities.
Based on research and together with the input from the Secretariat team, provide guidance and support to Global Platform stakeholders, in the form of briefings, conversation starters, input materials, technical checks, and questionnaires and collect and react to stakeholder inputs in the most appropriate way
Relevant and on-time information on Global Platform stakeholders is provided to the communications and advocacy lead for the coordination of outreach and communications activities across the OPN channels.
Provide digital consultations, discussion, and conversation starters to stakeholders and Stakeholder Ambassadors.
Map key stakeholders that should be involved in the Global Platform through collaboration with the Programme and initiative leads, online desk research, and stakeholder outreach, based on the priorities of the OPN, UNEP, and the UN system, ensuring coherence with the 2022 Communication and Advocacy Strategy of the OPN.
Develop, maintain, and disseminate, twice a year, the stakeholder mapping, outlining details such as type of stakeholder, their own audience, type of online presence, key topics, relevance to OPN programme, strategic objectives.
Ensure the stakeholder tool module is available to all OPN secretariat members for consultation and potential input.
Provide logistics support and direct outreach and engagement with stakeholders for key selected events, including the Global Dialogue, and the One Planet Network as well as other events such as HLPF, the UNGA, and MEAs COPs.
Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.