International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
Under the direct supervision of the Financial Planning and Analysis Deputy Head, leads the budget proposal development process for potential projects, contracts, and business opportunities across the Institute. The position will collaborate with cross-functional teams to create comprehensive and competitive financial proposals that align with our strategic goals and financial cost allocation structure and ensure that the proposals meet Institute and donor requirements and guidelines. Analyze and prepare reports of the Institute’s grants funded by Windows 1 and 3, and Bilateral restricted for submission to management and approval of the Board of Trustees.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines, and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the Philippines.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the end-to-end development of budget proposals, ensuring alignment with the organization’s objectives, donor requirements, and the Institute’s costing model.
- Conduct thorough financial analysis of potential projects, including cost estimation, revenue projections, and risk evaluation and mitigation.
- Develop, review, and coordinate with the project leaders the budget proposal for Bilateral/Windows 3 restricted grants, Windows 1, and other special funding services.
- Review the donor’s draft contract agreement, and ensure that it is in accordance with IRRI standards and tallies with the management’s approved budget.
- Upload the budget of newly approved grants, complete the grant checklist, and transfer all documents to the accountant-in-charge.
- Analyze and prepare reports of the institute’s ongoing and pipeline grants in coordination with IRRI Portfolio Management.
- Continuously assess and refine the proposal development process to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and overall quality.
- Closely coordinate with all levels of staff (GRS/NRS) who submit a concept note/proposal that requires budget development.
- Communicate with Portfolio Development Management Office, and project leaders the updated budget proposal based on the latest discussion and subsequent management’s approval/clearance.
- Communicate with the PDMO and OCS team the necessary adjustments in the database for changes in cost centers, BUS, and organizational chart reporting.
- Participate in stakeholder meetings to present and explain the financial aspects of proposals, addressing their questions and concerns.
- Identify potential financial risks and develop mitigation strategies to ensure the Institute’s sustainability.
- Prepare budget proposals from concept notes to detailed budget and ensure that it conforms to full cost recovery for submission to potential donors on or before the deadline.
- Update budgetary records of bilateral grants in the database and ensure all grants are correctly classified by research activities and by funding sources.
- Gather and organize financial and operational data required for proposal development, liaising with internal stakeholders as necessary.
- Prepare budget reports of grants funded by Window 1, Bilateral/Window3 restricted grants, and other funding services for submission to management and approval of the Board of Trustees.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years work experience in Accounting, CPA preferred, cost accounting in multi-national or non-profit oriented organization
- Master’s Degree with at least 3 years work experience in Accounting, CPA preferred, cost accounting in multi-national or non-profit oriented organization
- Proficiency in financial modeling, utilizing tools like Excel or specialized
- Understanding of budgeting, cost estimation, pricing strategies, and financial metrics.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in financial calculations and data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to convey complex financial concepts clearly.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, effectively
interface with various stakeholders, and can work independently.
- Problem-solving abilities to address unexpected challenges during the proposal process.
- Experience working for an international organization
- Experience providing administrative support to multicultural teams
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances.
Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.