University of Massachusetts Boston
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor of IT Client Services, the Technology Service Adoption Specialist will be plan and execute projects to improve how the UMass Boston community successfully leverages the technology services provided by the Information Technology Services Division (IT).
The IT department has a large number of highly technical services and equally technical staff that keep those services up and running. The Technology Service Adoption Specialist will serve as a resource for all IT staff to ensure that the UMass Boston community knows about, and knows how to use, the relevant technology services that would improve their teaching, learning, working, or research. The Technology Service Adoption Specialist’s focus will be to translate highly technical topics into messages more easily understood by less technical users, through webpages, email, flyers, and other ways to promote these topics.
Examples of Duties:
- Responsible for internal communications projects to a known audience of about fifteen thousand students, faculty, and staff at UMass Boston. Collaborate with IT service owners and IT Leadership to plan, create, and execute training and awareness projects to improve the adoption of IT’s services.
- Use several web applications to meet the above goal, including our Email Newsletter System to send broadcast emails, our Content Management System for posting of content to our website, our Wordpress system for posting and upkeep of several departmental companion websites, and our Service Management System to post content to our Knowledge Base and post status alert messages. Fulfill colleagues’ requests for the posting and editing of content on these systems.
- Use our Email Newsletter System to send broadcast emails to targeted groups of the UMass Boston community about important messages from the IT Department, such as alerts about security or downtime incidents, and to promote training and awareness about our services, with a goal of maximizing reader engagement and follow-through of the email messages.
- Use our Content Management System to post and update content on the IT Department website, ensuring content is up-to-date and accurate, and that users are able to navigate the site to find the information they need efficiently.
- Use our Wordpress system to maintain several companion websites for audiences internal and external to the IT Department. Create and update pages, posts, and sites through the Wordpress admin dashboard.
- Use our Service Management System to provide effective documentation for common needs and issues experienced by clients to be housed in the IT Knowledge Base, and collaborate with other IT staff as needed for more substantial efforts to proactively resolve client issues and increase their understanding of the team’s technology services. Use this system to cross post IT news and alerts on the Announcements module.
- Provide graphic design for communications and marketing projects, including advertisement design, desktop publishing, flyer and poster design, photography, illustration, logo and branding design, etc. Follow UMass Boston branding guidelines and work in close collaboration with the Division of Marketing and Engagement.
- With deep collaboration with IT leadership on the content, the incumbent is responsible for the creation and maintenance of internal business reports and documents, including the year-end annual report, the yearly strategic plan, org charts, project portfolios etc.
- In partnership with the AVC of Client Services and the IT Technology Training Specialist, plan and present occasional periodic training presentations and workshops to the UMass Boston community in the areas of the incumbent’s expertise and interest, relating to the skills used in this position.
- Communicate regularly with the AVC of Client Services, the CIO, IT leadership, and the Technology Services Adoption working group to keep them informed on activities, accomplishments, problems, and future efforts. Maintain an up-to-date tracking repository of activities, projects, and metrics, and provide status reports, presentations, and graphical reporting aids showing Technology Services Adoption service’s activities and capabilities.
- The incumbent must maintain a high level of professional development and awareness of current industry best practices and future trends related to the field of communications and marketing, as well as the services offered by IT, with a goal of always providing top-level communications and marketing services to the IT department and the UMass Boston community
- Ensure that all efforts follow universal design best practices and digital accessibility standards to ensure that all members of the UMass Boston community can leverage the service fully.
- Actively supports the University’s initiatives of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in the workplace.
- Additional responsibilities as directed by the supervisor consistent with ability and position.
- Two or more years of experience are required in a field relevant to this position such as graphic design, marketing, technology training, or similar. A bachelor’s degree related to one of the fields listed above is required. An additional four years of work experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree requirement.
- Experience working with various Content Management Systems, especially WordPress. Experience with web design and user experience best practices. Familiarity with basic HTML and CSS is required.
- Experience working with subject matter experts to effectively synthesize, summarize, and communicate information and ideas that the incumbent is not personally an expert in, in written and visual format is required.
- Experience with graphic design and illustration for print and digital uses, with a goal of improving the reach of public awareness campaigns is required.
- Experience with many forms of writing including copywriting, journalism, technical writing, and creation of business reports.
- Experience developing accessible communications and multimedia that ensures the disability community is provided with equally effective content.
- Experience creating inclusive communications that address accurate representation of marginalized communities and avoid bias language.
- Experience keeping multiple active projects organized while preserving a strong attention to detail on individual tasks.
- Experience working in a professional business environment collaboratively with individuals and groups of a wide variety of backgrounds, positions, and needs.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.