Career Development Assignment (CDA):
The successful candidate must obtain a leave of absence from their current and substantive position, where applicable. Permission for such leave must not be unreasonably withheld.
If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Carleton University
Carleton University is one of Canada’s most resourceful and productive hubs of learning and research, fuelling a rich talent pipeline that is supporting social and economic renewal. The university’s smart, caring and connected community inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world while challenging conventional modes of thinking and doing. Carleton is recognized annually as a top regional employer and is a recipient of the Canada Awards for Excellence, Healthy Workplace Order of Excellence, and Platinum Level Certification for Mental Health at Work. Situated on unceded Algonquin territory and bordered by the Rideau River and historic Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Carleton is just minutes from the heart of our nation’s government and G-7 organizations, providing opportunities for staff and faculty to make a positive impact in our community and around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Department / Institute Administrator, and working in concert with the Undergraduate Program Advisors of Biology and Biochemistry, the incumbent is responsible for the coordination and day-to-day administration of undergraduate B.Sc. and B.A. programs in the Department of Biology and Institute of Biochemistry. The incumbent provides advice and information to students, faculty, and staff, processes a variety of documents critical to students’ progress through the programs, and is responsible for meeting all internal and external deadlines associated with the administrator and coordination of the undergraduate programs.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills are essential to deal with sensitive student issues.
• Good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, tact, and discretion.
• The incumbent possesses the ability to work under pressure and to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing).
• With excellent interpersonal skills, the incumbent must be capable of relating to all members of the University community (staff, Faculty, students).
• Must respond to queries in a professional manner and must possess the ability to work successfully without direct supervision.
• The position requires a sensitivity to and understanding of various cultural, ethnic, and linguistic profiles.
• The incumbent must also remain current on University academic and privacy policies, as well as the Department’s academic program requirements.
• Familiar with campus life, the incumbent possesses a thorough knowledge of academic rules and regulations throughout the University, the various programs offered by the Department, and a sound understanding of procedures governing the processing of student records.
• The incumbent acts as an information resource for students, the Chair and Director, members of the Faculty, and Contract Instructors.
• Excellent skills in the manipulation of electronic data processing equipment and software applications relevant to the University’s electronic office including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, BANNER, the DARS audit system and various GREPORTS.
• As well, the ability to adapt to a changing electronic environment is essential.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Bachelors degree or equivalent
• A minimum of four years administrative experience in a University setting, with increasing
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is required to work on campus. Exceptionally, since March 2020, many staff and faculty at Carleton University have been working from home in order to comply with public health requirements while continuing to provide services to support the operational functioning of the university. We are currently in the process of identifying positions that need to work on campus as part of our return to campus process. This position may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements or it may have been identified as one of the roles that are required to work on campus. If this position is required to work on campus, the successful candidate will be informed of the health and safety measures that are in place to ensure their safety on campus. If there is a requirement to work remotely (it is possible that there could be a requirement to work both remotely and on campus), the successful candidate will work with the manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. Please note that once public health requirements permit, Carleton University will resume normal on campus operations and at that point there will be a timely notification provided by the manager and the requirement to working full time physically onsite will resume. Therefore, we are looking for candidates currently in or looking to relocate to the Ottawa area.
Additionally, Carleton University is continuing to maintain a safe work environment and requires mandatory vaccination against COVID-19 as per Public Health recommendations under the Reopening Ontario Act. As Carleton University requires that staff be available to attend on-campus meetings and to work, as required, in person, the successful candidate will be required to comply with this policy and be fully vaccinated before commencing employment. Subject to permitted exemptions under the Ontario Human Rights Code, if you are the successful candidate, your offer of employment will be conditional upon you attesting that you are fully vaccinated with a course of vaccines that have been approved by Health Canada and submitting appropriate proof of vaccination.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.