View Vacancy – General Services Officer (GEO23.136)
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
The British Embassy in Tbilisi is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a General Services Officer to support Corporate Services team in ensuring that the Embassy is able to offer a fit for purpose service to all staff.
The jobholder will have lead responsibility our Embassy’s implementation of Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) policies on procurement, IT and telecommunications and transport, using their initiative to develop best practice that follows central policy direction but is tailored to operations in Tbilisi and achieves best value for money.
The job holder will manage a small operating budget and be responsible for the line management of the team of Embassy drivers.
Additionally, and after receiving relevant training and induction, the job holder will be expected to provide leave cover for our Accountant and support our Consul in any urgent consular work that occurs during the absence of our Vice Consul.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Procurement policy (35%): Leading development and implementation of Tbilisi policy on procurement of goods and services, including through maintaining our supplier database, requisitioning and receiving goods/services on the FCDO’s Finance and HR software, managing the Embassy’s contract portfolio, ensuring that payments are processed efficiently and ensuring renewals/new tenders deliver value for money. Using initiative to identify and implement changes to work processes to improve efficiency or standards. Explaining procurement policy to frontline staff across the Embassy. Managing our external relationships with suppliers in order to deliver value for money;
- IT and Telecommunications (35%): Act as the principal IT Support Officer at Post and work with the FCDO’s Information and Digital Directorate (IDD) to ensure delivery of a fit-for-purpose IT platform. Be the main contact and provide on-site support for any change projects related to IT infrastructure. Manage and provide IT support to staff on a day-to-day basis with official and standalone IT, WiFi, Video Conferencing and FCDO telephone system. Maintain inventory for Embassy’s IT equipment. Make sure sufficient IT equipment is kept in stock at all times. Liaise with relevant contacts to arrange write-off, replacement and disposal or return to the UK of old/out of order equipment;
- Manage Embassy’s mobile phone assets and contracts to deliver maximum value for money, including developing policy on acquisition of new phone sets and SIM cards, processing itemised bills and ensuring the Embassy landlines operate to good order;
- Transport policy (5%): Manage Embassy’s official transport fleet, including developing accurate forecasts of maintenance requirements and ensuring value for money servicing of vehicles. Producing transport plans for high level visits. Lead on procurement of new fleet vehicles when needed and arrange auctions for selling aged/old vehicles as per the FCDO guidance;
- Line Management (15%): Line management of our drivers (3 full-time plus casual drivers as necessary), ensuring they are trained, motivated and deliver value for money;
- Finance (5%): Act as a backup for the Embassy Accountant, providing a seamless service when the officer is on leave / training and additional surge support during busy periods;
- Consular (5%): Support the Consul in providing consular assistance to British nationals in Georgia when the Vice Consul is on leave/training, or additional surge support during busy periods.
- English, including writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Full professional proficiency in Georgian, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Proven experience in general services and customer service of a least 3 years;
- Previous procurement experience (minimum 2 years);
• Working experience in an international organisation.
Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
27 March 2023
Administrative Officer (AO)
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
29 May 2023
This is a full-time and permanent contract of 40 hours per week. The gross monthly salary is 4,337GEL. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax and state pension contributions required by local law.
The successful candidate will be subject to a professional background check and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Tbilisi is subject to local Terms and Conditions of Service.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Georgia. The British Embassy does not sponsor applications for work permits.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
To apply please copy and paste this link: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.