View Vacancy – Regional Outreach and Visits Manager (ITA23.022)
Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
Department for International Trade (DIT)
The British Consulate General in Milan is a part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. Our network is recruiting for a Regional Outreach and Visits Manager for the Department for International Trade in Milan (DIT).
This is a challenging and rewarding role based in Milan supporting the Deputy Consul General (DCG) & Deputy Director. The role supports the Senior Managers with identifying trade and investment opportunities across the country, leads on regional activities, and works on a wide variety of policy and economic initiatives in cooperation with Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) colleagues.
You will apply your expertise to influence the development of strategies that amplify our impact using key networks across the Italy patch, seeking to influence trade policy. You will lead on senior level Ministerial visits, oversee key account management in cooperation with the single leads and support on the management and coordination of the wider team. The ideal candidate will be a clear/effective communicator, a team player able to work at pace whilst paying strong attention to detail with a background in international business.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Build an understanding of and expertise in the trade and investment opportunity landscape to influence the overall regional outreach strategy;
- Advise Consul General and DCG on senior relationships they should build on locally with key stakeholders to help drive forward the UK’s trade and Investment priorities and influence views on trade policy and the UK;
- Work with Marketing, Communications and FCDO colleagues to refine and deliver messaging that showcases the strengths of the UK-IT trade and investment relationship and is targeted at influential audiences;
- Influence key account management for sponsorship raising across the local team and in close collaboration with account managers;
- Work with Senior Management by working with other government departments (HMG) and network colleagues to design and deliver impactful visit programmes and events for His Majesty’s Trade;
- Commissioner for Europe (HMTC), British Ministers and other senior visitors, and ensure they understand the regional views on trade and how best to establish the UK as a trade and investment partner of choice;
- Coordinate timely submissions and approve all briefings for senior leaders ahead of visits, meetings and events and maintain a core trade and investment script for the Italy Network;
- Assist DCG with recruitment, on-boarding and team development activities to strengthen and reinforce trade promotion expertise across Italy;
- Coordinate with DCG in her role as Head of Trade in establishing ambitious trade objectives for the regional performance oversight, liaising with central operations functions
- Actively taking part in corporate activities and initiatives not necessarily linked to the role, for the benefit of the whole Italy team.
Learning and development opportunities:
• Formal and informal Learning & Development sit at the Core of DIT’s strategic vision and people plan. A particular focus is currently on building and enabling DIT’s cross-European team and effort
• More broadly, this is an exciting role at the heart of the government’s agenda supporting bilateral and trade relationships
• Good learning and development offer available to staff, including dedicated L&D days
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience, gained within a business, government or economic development role:
- Full professional proficiency in English and Italian (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework* or equivalent);
- Proven competence in supporting strategy development and business planning;
- Proven advisory and influencing skills at senior levels – able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication;
- Proven client engagement skills and the ability to represent an organisation to high profile executives:
- An understanding of international relations, UK Government policy;
- An understanding of both the Italian and UK business environments and investment propositions;
- Ability to influence others and gain buy-in at team, peer and executive level;
- Proven experience in delivering creative and innovative solutions to business challenges;
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and networking skills, and highly effective verbal and written communication skills;
- Availability to attend official functions outside office hours; and to undertake domestic and international air travel, including overnight stays.
- Event and project management;
- Having worked in international environments;
- Experience in marketing and/or communications.
Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
29 January 2023
Executive Officer (EO)
Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
British Consulate General
1 March 2023
This is a full-time temporary position for a 12 month contract, with possibility of renewal subject to performance and confirmed funding from DIT headquarters. The role is graded at EO according to the FCDO grading structure. The monthly gross salary is Euro 2,929.00. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year, with double salary payments in June and December. If working less than a full calendar year, the additional salary payments will be pro-rata.
Working hours are 35 hours per week Monday to Friday. Work-life balance applies with flexible and remote working when possible.
All staff employed by the/British Consulate General Milan are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme. Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General in Milan are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
The Consulate-General will be closed on a number of British and Italian public holidays. Holiday falling on a Sunday may be compensated with an extra day normally added to the list of public holidays.
Local Post Requirements:
- The appointment is subject to security clearance, professional reference checks and the successful completion of a five month probationary period.
- Visa / Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Italy and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary pending EU Exit. If requirements change additional eligibility information will be shared during the recruitment process
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy/ British Consulate General will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
To apply please copy and paste this link: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.