View Vacancy – Senior Trade and Investment Officer – Clean Energy
Department for Business and Trade roles (DBT)
Department for Business and Trade (DBT)
Main purpose of job:
Be part of the Department for Business and Trade’s (DBT) mission to drive more trade and investment between North America and the UK. With a mature, high spending consumer market and an open, liberal economy, world-class talent and a business-friendly regulatory environment, the UK is the leading destination for foreign investment in Europe, and the second highest investment destination in the world. The UK is also the world’s sixth largest exporter and the second largest services exporter.
We employ over 150 people across North America, all united by our vision of a future where we champion open and fair global trading that drives growth, creates better jobs and higher wages, and improves living standards in the UK and around the world. We seek talented team members with the passion and drive to help us in our mission to build a global appetite for British goods and services; drive investment; negotiate trade deals and open up markets; improve international trading standards and fight unfair trading practices (see www.gov.uk/DIT).
Based at the British Consulate-General in Los Angeles, the Senior Trade and Investment Officer (STIO) for Clean Energy will proactively identify export opportunities in Clean Energy sector for market ready UK companies to achieve new business and work with US companies seeking to launch into or expand in the UK market. You will be part of the North America Clean Energy team as well as a valued contributor to the Los Angeles-based DBT team, working closely with colleagues from around the US and UK. The role will jointly co-manage one Trade and Investment Officer with the STIO Infrastructure.
Roles and responsibilities:
As the Senior Trade & Investment Officer – Clean Energy, you will:
- Provide a comprehensive account management service to key US prospects in for the Clean Energy subsectors civil nuclear, energy transition and decarbonisation, renewables (offshore wind, waste to value, electrical networks and energy storage, hydrogen, low carbon heating and CCUS) looking to maintain or grow their footprint in the UK.
- Successfully build and manage a pipeline of knowledge-driven projects that have the potential to bring high-value jobs and R&D to the UK.
- Assist high-growth and innovative UK companies to develop US market entry strategies and/or grow US market share; and support established British companies in-market to address any concerns around US trade policy or market access barriers.
- Support positive relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations, regional Clean Energy providers and other key buyers/partners within the Clean Energy industries.
- Develop and implement high impact, targeted marketing programs and events in conjunction with stakeholder partners to build our brand awareness, promote key messaging, and showcase UK competitiveness in Clean Energy industry.
- Keep pace with market trends, incentives and centres of excellence in North America and the UK to identify commercial opportunities and provide informed advice to clients.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to deliver high-impact programming, including developing and hosting round tables, seminars and trade missions, and contributing to Ministerial and other VIP visit programs.
- Support cross-team projects to advance UK economic and trade policy goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervision and joint task management of one Trade & Investment Officer.
- Manage events and travel budgets.
Essential on arrival:
- Demonstrated professional experience in a business, economic development or science role.
- Thorough knowledge of the Energy/Clean Energy, major companies and trends in the US and preferably in the UK.
- Excellent stakeholder management abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and networking skills.
- Excellent management and collaboration skills with the ability to deliver results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and complete work while traveling.
- An understanding of international relations and UK Government policy preferred.
- Must be able to attend events outside of office hours and undertake travel in the US and internationally up to 20% of your time.
As a valued member of our team, we will help you to achieve your goals through continuous professional development.
Level of language required: excellent verbal and written English
Please note: Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work.
*A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defense Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
Changing and Improving, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
8 August 2023
Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
Americas, Caribbean & Overseas Territories
British Consulate General
2 October 2023
This role is 40 hours a week.
The British Embassy and its US Network embraces hybrid working, allowing its staff to typically work from home 2 or 3 times a week. We are an organization that also recognises the critical value of team work and we embrace and endorse collaboration by ensuring that all staff attend the office flexibly yet regularly.
- Generous leave package plus public holidays
- Generous 401k matching
- Excellent healthcare options
- Paid sick leave
- Generous parental leave policy
- A great work-life balance including flexible start and finish times and a hybrid working model with staff splitting their time between working from home and the office
- Short-term disability, long-term disability and life insurance coverage
- High quality L&D services with global sessions and events every day to help you develop and meet organisational needs, including up to 5 days paid leave each year to pursue your professional development
- Inclusivity is one of our core values and we strive to treat everyone openly, fairly and equally. All new team members learn about how they can contribute to an inclusive environment and the importance of diversity and inclusion
Learning and development opportunities:
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We actively encourage learning & development, and will develop a specific plan in collaboration with the successful candidate.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6-12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor before they apply to a different position. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.
To apply please copy and paste this link: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.