View Vacancy – Trade and Investment Associate – Automotive and Future of Mobility
Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Main purpose of job:
Be part of the Department for International Trade’s (DIT) mission to drive more trade and investment between North America and the UK. With a mature, high spending consumer market and an open, liberal economy, world-class talent and a business-friendly regulatory environment, the UK is the leading destination for foreign investment in Europe, and the second highest investment destination in the world. The UK is also the world’s sixth largest exporter and the second largest services exporter.
We employ over 150 people across North America, all united by our vision of a future where we champion open and fair global trading that drives growth, creates better jobs and higher wages, and improves living standards in the UK and around the world. We seek talented team members with the passion and drive to help us in our mission to build a global appetite for British goods and services; drive investment; negotiate trade deals and open up markets; improve international trading standards and fight unfair trading practices.
Based at the British Consulate-General, Los Angeles, the Trade & Investment Associate will support the work of the Trade and Investment Officer for Advanced Engineering throughout the West Coast. You will be part of the broader North American Advanced Engineering sector team, as well as a valued contributor to the Los Angeles-based regional team. You will also be working closely with regional colleagues based around the UK.
Roles and responsibilities:
· Identify and reach out to innovative companies working in the Automotive and Future of Mobility sectors, interested in establishing or expanding operations and R&D opportunities in the UK to build pipeline of ambitious foreign direct investment projects.
· Support the Trade & Investment Officer in developing US market opportunities for a broad range of UK exporters.
· Keep pace with market trends, incentives and centres of excellence in North America and the UK to identify commercial opportunities and provide informed advice to clients and stakeholders.
· Develop knowledge of the Automotive and Future of Mobility sectors in the West Coast region.
· Support positive relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations, regional service providers and other key buyers/partners within the advanced engineering industries covered by the team.
· Support trade group visits and trade show events to foster economic opportunities for the UK and US.
· Support high-profile visits, including UK Ministerial and VIP delegations through scheduling high-level meetings, organising activities, and preparing briefing materials.
· Consult with clients to manage and coordinate client events.
· Support cross-team projects to advance UK prosperity and trade policy goals.
· Provide operational and administrative support including maintaining client and project databases.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Demonstrated professional experience/skills in a business, economic development or project management role.
· Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with a professional and helpful manner.
· Ability to undertake research and follow market trends to identify new opportunities.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent organisational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
· An interest in, or understanding of, the space, defence, and/or security industries.
· Ability to use a variety of online and social media tools
· Must be able to attend events outside of office hours and undertake travel within the US and UK up to 5-10% of your time
As a valued member of our team we will help you to achieve your goals through continuous professional development.
Changing and Improving, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
13 January 2023
Executive Officer (EO)
Americas, Caribbean & Overseas Territories
British Consulate General
13 March 2023
· Generous leave package plus public holidays
· Generous 401k matching
· Excellent healthcare options
· Paid sick leave
· Generous parental leave policy
· A great work-life balance including flexible start and finish times and a hybrid working model with staff splitting their time between working from home and the office
· Short-term disability, long-term disability and life insurance coverage
· High quality L&D services with global sessions and events every day to help you develop and meet organisational needs, including up to 5 days paid leave each year to pursue your professional development
· Inclusivity is one of our core values and we strive to treat everyone openly, fairly and equally. All new team members learn about how they can contribute to an inclusive environment and the importance of diversity and inclusion
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work. • A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
Learning and development opportunities :
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We offer a comprehensive platform for personalised learning for everything from soft skill development (communciating with impact, handling difficult conversations, time management) to more technical or professional skills necessary to complete your job (software training, formal qualifications etc.).
To apply please copy and paste this link: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.