Title: Women’s Rights Policy and Advocacy Specialist
Department: Policy & Campaigns
Status: Full-time, unionized
Location: Remote in Canada
Immediate Supervisor: Manager, Policy
Salary: $66,485.00 – $86,330.15
Salary Band: Band 3
Application Deadline: February 24, 2023 or until position filled
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Manager of Policy, the Women’s Rights Policy & Advocacy Specialist is responsible for developing policy and advocacy strategies in support of raising Oxfam Canada’s recognition as a thought leader on issues related to poverty, gender justice and inequality, both in Canada and globally. The focus of this position will be on Oxfam Canada’s work on business and human rights.
The Women’s Rights Policy & Advocacy Specialist will work with Oxfam stakeholders – supporters, partner organizations and allies, as well as communications, campaigns, and long term development and humanitarian assistance staff, to develop initiatives that advance Oxfam policy in Canada and as part of the global policy and advocacy work of Oxfam International.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
- Develop and execute impactful policy and advocacy strategies on business and human rights in Canada and globally.
- Convene, implement and facilitate policy and advocacy initiatives drawing on issue experts from different departments in Oxfam Canada, the larger Oxfam confederation and partners
- Act as an internal subject matter expert on business and human rights but also contribute to a range of policy and advocacy issues and functions.
- Produce high quality policy and advocacy products (policy briefs, reports, op-eds, etc.).
- Provide expert capacity in policy and advocacy relationship-building, writing, media, publications and coordination.
- Represent Oxfam in policy and advocacy forums as well as in the media.
- Provide strategic advice to the senior management team and board of Oxfam Canada on policy and advocacy issues.
- Working closely with Oxfam Quebec to coordinate gender rights activities in regard to policy and advocacy issues
- Develop relationships with key officials, Ministers and their staff/committee staff, as well as other elected officials to effectively advocate for Oxfam policy objectives.
- Build support for Oxfam Canada’s strategic policy initiatives vis-à-vis the federal government, allies and the private sector.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Master’s degree in relevant field of study (such as Political Science, Gender/Women’s Studies, International Development, Law) or equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum of seven years of related work experience with a minimum of five years in a comparable policy/advocacy position.
- Demonstrated experience in research and writing for policy development.
- Experience leading advocacy campaigns focused on national and global issues.
- At least 3 years’ experience leading policy initiatives, including those focused on women’s rights/gender equality and/or business and human rights.
- Demonstrated experience with policy influencing, advocacy and engagement vis-à-vis the private sector.
- Significant experience in coordinating government relations and representing an organization to the government, preferably for NGOs.
- Significant experience in building networks, coalitions and alliances to support policy and advocacy objectives.
- Strong knowledge of the Canadian policy landscape and opportunities for influence.
- Demonstrated strong writing and editing skills, especially the capacity to develop policy and advocacy materials (correspondence with government officials and decision-makers, policy papers, briefing notes, discussion papers, submissions to government consultations).
- Ability to communicate effectively in a public forum and in writing with a demonstrated capability to convey complex ideas in plain language to varied audiences.
- Ability to troubleshoot and anticipate challenges, and effectively and efficiently handle multiple, simultaneous, and complex tasks and projects.
- Capacity and desire to develop expertise in new issue areas.
- Proven commitment to Oxfam’s mission and strategic focus on women’s rights and gender justice.
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a cross-cultural environment based on feminist principles.
- Experience working in the Global South on issues related to poverty, inequality and women’s rights.is an asset
- Capacity to take direction, work in a self-directed manner and exceptional skills working within a team setting.
- Capacity to work in English. French and Spanish is a strong asset.
- Experience working with the media a strong asset.
- Ability to travel periodically in Canada and internationally, sometimes in difficult circumstances.
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- 35-hour workweek and the ability to work flexible hours
- A hybrid workplace where staff can work from home and the Ottawa office
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year, plus paid office closure between Christmas and New Year
- Extensive health, dental and wellness coverage for you and your dependents
- Paid sick days, and additional time off for personal and care responsibilities
- Pension plan contributions
- Caring, compassionate and supportive work environment that recognizes that work is one of the many responsibilities we have to prioritize in our lives
- Regular opportunities for all staff across Canada to meet – in person and virtually – to learn, connect and grow as a team!
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
If you don’t see yourself reflected in every job requirement listed in the posting above, we still encourage you to apply.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit oxfam.ca/employment-oppportunities. Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
We welcome you to join our movement – sign up for news and updates today.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.