United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
Background and Organizational Context
Heavy rains and a combination of riverine, urban, and flash flooding led to an unprecedented climate-induced disaster in Pakistan since June 2022, causing widespread fatalities and damaging and destroying public and private infrastructure across the country. Rain-induced landslides and floods also damaged agricultural land and forests, impacting local ecosystems. Around 33 million people were affected by the heavy rains and floods according to Government estimates, including nearly 8 million people who were displaced.
OCHA has been scaling up its operations since then focusing on its key functions of coordination, information management, resource mobilization and advocacy. Accordingly, UNOCHA Administration requires increased capacity and has opened the position of Administrative Associate, GS-6, to strengthen its procurement, physical inventory, HR, and general administrative functions.
Under the overall guidance of the OCHA Pakistan Head of Administrative Unit., the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for initiating, trans actioning in ERP system, follow up with partner and advice to clients and management on all indicated administrative functions listed above.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Head of OCHA Pakistan Admin & Finance Unit, the Administrative Associate provides the overall administration and execution of varied and inter-related operational and logistical activities in the OCHA Pakistan office, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality, and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the CO and field staff, its sub-offices and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Key Duties and Accountabilities:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Manage with minimum supervision the Source to Acquire Requisitioning function, including the trans-actioning within the UN ERP system.
- Manage with minimum supervision the enrichment of physical inventory, including the trans-actioning within the UN ERP system.
- Coordinate the travel & shipment function, including the trans-actioning within the UN ERP system.
- Provide Budget and Finance support.
- Provide support for administrative and event management to Country Office and all sub-offices.
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1.) Manage with minimum supervision the Source to Acquire Requisitioning function, including the trans-actioning within the UN ERP system, focusing on the achievement of the following results.
- Support the identification of country office requirements for goods & services, incl. lease agreements and MoU’s between UN Agencies
- Initiate relevant transactions in UN ERP system, incl. creation of BP’s and in full compliance with relevant UN Rules & Regulations
- Prepare Requisition form and request of quotation documents,
- Receipt of quotations and analyses all propositions.
- Creation of Shopping cart in UMOJA
- Creation of PO for Low Value Acquisition in UMOJA
- Creation of Service Entry Sheet for payment
- Receipt the Good and Services in Umoja and physical.
- Support Vendor for creation of Profile on UNGM
- Managing the vendor profile and Update of Bank information in UMOJA
- Maintenance of data integrity in the database, control programme; analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions when necessary.
- Assist in maintaining proper internal control and support the provision of information for internal & external audits.
2.) Manage, with minimum supervision, the Enrichment of physical inventory, including the trans-actioning within the UN ERP system focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Support the timely management and data-input of physical inventory for assets, serialized equipment, and non-serialized equipment in the UN ERP system, in full compliance with relevant UN Rules & Regulations
- Support the yearly physical inventory exercise & reporting.
- Support the Vehicle Fleet Maintenance
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of loss, damage, and theft
- Support timely write-off and disposal of equipment check.
3.) Coordinate the Travel & Shipment function, including the trans-actioning within the UN ERP system, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide timely support to Official Mission, HR, and Entitlement related travel, in full compliance with the UN Rules and Regulations
- Provide advice and solutions to all clients, incl. Senior Management on visa, diplomatic cards, and other entitlements in country.
- Act as the Travel Administrator for non-UN Secretariat staff
- Support effective internal control over travel requests, expenditure reports and budgetary compliance.
4.) Provide Budget and Finance support.
- Assist in preparation and review of supporting documents with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
- Assist in preparation of fund deployment request.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and availability of fund.
5) Provide support for administrative and event management to Country Office and all sub-offices. Focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain regular contact and undertake need based field visit to sub-offices.
- Maintain effective reporting for clients and Sr. Management
- Organization and coordination of shipments and customs clearance
- Arranging venue, travel, catering, and hotel reservations.
- Process visa, NOCs, identity cards and other documents.
- Arranging the required stationary supplies, equipment etc.
- Arranging the printable requests, banners, Pana flex etc.
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Supervision of cleaning services.
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables, and reports.
6) Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training/ Advise staff and clients on the administrative procedures.
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Administration & Operations
Events management (including retreats, trainings, and meetings): Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
Travel policy and procedures: Knowledge of travel policy and procedures; ability to interpret travel policy, the Staff Rules, administrative circulars and financial regulations and rules on travel-related matters.
Management of shipments: Knowledge of regulatory frameworks and processes related to management of shipments, including contracting of shipments for staff members who travel on initial appointment, reassignment, and repatriation.
Assets management: Knowledge of policy & procedures on PP&E; ability to prepare financial statements on PP&E; maintain. Asset Management Module, Asset Dashboard; develop supporting tools for assets certification and further enhancements for AM module; design and run training programs, etc. on assets management and assets recording; run AP-AM interface; perform AP-AM-GL reconciliation; perform analytical review of AM reports and asset information to ensure completeness and accuracy of asset information.
Procurement: Knowledge of policy and procedures on administrative on-boarding, including issuance of office ID, email address creation, office space, telephone extension, Argus profile set up, issuance of office ICT equipment
Accounting (General): Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Higher Secondary education is required or
- University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent field will be given due consideration, but it is not a requirement.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum of 6 years (with high school diploma) or 3 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience in administration or programme support services.
- Experience of managing of procurement contracts in International Organization is highly desirable.
- Experience is managing the events, conferences, workshops, or trainings is desirable.
- Experience of inventory/asset management is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is desirable.
- Fluency in the UN language of the duty station is required.
- Fluency in the national language of the duty station is required for local staff.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this posting.