Founded in 1983, the Red Cross EU Office (RCEU) is a membership office representing the 27 National Red Cross Societies in the EU, the Norwegian Red Cross, the Icelandic Red Cross and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
RCEU helps to coordinate relations between its member organisations and EU decision-makers and stakeholders, sharing their extensive expertise in supporting vulnerable people and communities within and outside the EU. Based on our members’ practical insights and technical experience, we promote the dignity and wellbeing of vulnerable people by facilitating and voicing common positions and recommendations towards the EU and Member States. We also monitor European developments that could impact the implementation of our members’ work, as well as supporting them to prepare joint proposals to access EU funding.
Reporting to the Director of the Red Cross EU Office, the incumbent is responsible for providing finance management and accounting services to the Red Cross EU office and its staff in line with Federation financial procedures and policies, and for providing financial management support.
- Prepare accounting journals and send the field returns journals to Regional Office for Europe;
- Effectively manage the funds available for programmes and operations consistent with organizational policies and with a view to minimizing the risk of loss;
- Receive supplier invoices, check for proper documentation, coding and accuracy and seek budget holder’s approval, thereafter, make timely payments to the suppliers;
- Perform month end closure of accounts. Ensure the “month end checklist” is followed, all the corrections done in the in-tray, clearance of Swiss Francs (CHF) differences and reconciliation of all the balance sheet accounts;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for the Red Cross EU Office accounts;
- Liaise with Payroll Company to obtain Payroll related accounting documents and prepare payroll entries, review and reconcile Payroll accounts and analyse outstanding balances;
- Manage the day-to-day processing of transactions in accordance with established procedures;
- Updating and maintaining the Red Cross EU Office financial system database;
- Monitor the Red Cross EU Office bank account balances and ensure monthly bank reconciliations are completed in a timely manner;
- Monitor the petty cash to ensure that the balances are reconciled with the accounting at least on a monthly basis;
- Support the Red Cross EU Office Project Managers and Budget Holders with the preparation of operating budgets;
- Prepare Operating Budget revisions in consultation with budget holders on a regular basis;
- Review Shared Office and Services Costs budgets and expenditure on a monthly basis and advise the Director on improvements to ensure cost efficiency and value for money.
- Analyse and prepare monthly and ad hoc financial reports for management reporting purposes;
- Ensure adequate cash flow for the Red Cross EU Office activities through timely preparation of monthly cash forecast and cash requests; and manage bank accounts balances to minimize foreign exchange volatility;
- Provide support and training to the Red Cross EU office staff in financial management, including budget preparation, preparing financial reports, accessing financial information, interpreting financial reports and any other identified finance-related training needs;
- Monitor the budget implementation and alert the Red Cross EU Office Director and Budget Holders of any deviation and variances for corrective action;
- Ensure that a rigorous internal control environment is maintained in accordance with the finance policies, processes and procedures;
- Lead the month-end financial close process for the Red Cross EU Office in accordance with policies and procedures
- Ensure the implementation of internal and external audit recommendations;
- Ensure that a financial risk assessment is conducted for project proposals;
- Follow up on the preparation of documents requested by the funding organizations after the closure of projects;
- Monitor fixed assets;
- Liaise with EU institutions on financial matters related to Red Cross EU Office staff activities;
- Liaise with National Societies on financial matters e.g., relating to membership fees, voluntary income, and staff on loan funding arrangements;
- Evaluate the existing provision of support to staff on finance issues.
- Collaborate closely and provide the necessary support and/or back-up for the HR and Admin departments;
- Take the necessary initiatives to solve ongoing problems that may arise in the office (technical or otherwise).
- Monitor, and report on key performance indicators, advise the Director and Project Managers on actions to be taken to improve the implementation of budgets while minimizing the risk of loss (i.e. due to funding gaps and/or potential deficits);
- Support Red Cross EU Office Director and HR in revising national and international staff rules and regulations, salaries, compensations & benefits package as well as the well-being of the staff and their financial aspects;
- Support Project Managers prepare cash pledges;
- Ensure the liaise between Members and IFRC office and the follow-up on the cash pledge process;
- Provide finance validation to agreements and contracts in the e-Contracts system;
- Continuously ensure regulatory compliance in the Red Cross EU Office, particularly as it pertains to banking, taxation and other financial regulations;
Bachelor’s Degree/Technical degree (or equivalent relevant experience) in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or another relevant field
In-depth specialist knowledge and professional qualification in finance or equivalent
Relevant professional training courses (Red Cross/Red Crescent related, humanitarian and development sector, management, etc.) is an asset
At least 5 years relevant professional experience in finance and administration
Developing budgets, plans and financial analysis
Management of an accounting services function
Communicating financial results to managers
Preparation for, conduct of and/or support to external financial audit
Minimum of 2 years work experience with an International Organisation, international non-governmental organization, NGO and/or government development agency is an asset
Volunteer or work experience within the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement is an asset
Highly organised/time management
Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
Advanced knowledge of accounting concepts
Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards or equivalent
Self-organised, with ability to work effectively as part of a team
Advanced knowledge of financial management and reporting applications (e.g., CODA and Business Objects)
Understanding of treasury management concepts
Excellent relationship building skills; ability to build and strengthen internal and external networks, and to establish effective partnerships with National Societies
Financial management skills
Fluently spoken and written English
Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic) is an asset.
Open-ended contract under Belgian labour legislation (this requires an official registration in Belgium),
Based in Brussels, Belgium, with occasional travel within Europe.
Full time position of 38 hours per week.
Monthly gross salary according to Red Cross EU Office salary scale: EUR 3300. In addition, we offer extra holidays, pension scheme, health insurance, meal vouchers, work-related public transport, and teleworking costs.
Please send your CV (max. two pages), a cover letter (max. one page) in English to [email protected] by midnight CET on 23 October 2022.
Please include the job title and your full name in the file names, and mention “Finance Senior Officer” in the email subject.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
If you do not hear back from us by 15 November 2022, unfortunately your application has not been selected.
Expected start date: December 2022
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.