SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Human Resources Clerk
Vacancy Number : SVN/IOMSO/033/2023
Duty Station : IOM Somalia in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Classification : General Service Category, Grade G3
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, Six Months with possibility of
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 November, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for
the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of Human Resources Officer/Head of Human Resources Unit
and direct supervision of Senior Human Resources Assistant in Mogadishu, the Human
Resources Clerk will provide assistance in human resources activities for Mission Somalia.
S/he will be working in close coordination with all RMU and projects/operational units, and
other staffs in the mission
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide assistance in the recruitment process of staff and non-staff in
Mission in various stages, including assist administering practical skills
tests/exams as required, carrying out reference checks for short-listed
candidates, assist background checking (clear check and employer
reference), assist with regret e-mail/letter to unsuccessful candidates,
arrange orientation session for new incoming staff, and assist coordinating
e-mail creation of non-staff.
2. Keep record of activities performed by HR unit in coordination with HR team. Create and maintain personnel files (contracts, Personnel Actions (PAs), personal data, supporting documents, etc.) of staffing in Nairobi and Somalia including of non-staff (consultants, interns, casual work, and Third
Party Contract). Maintain unit filing system electronically and necessary IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates. physical files, ensure files are updated. Keep the confidentiality of all data/records and ensure safe custody of all files.
3. In coordination with HR focal point, assist on casual contract (hourly contracts) for the assigned units; Assist in reviewing the request and documents, issuing contract, maintaining database updates, up to necessary separation process.
4. Follow up Mission’s compliance on mandatory trainings, assist maintaining the database record and updating the certificates in each personnel files (softcopy/hardcopy). Provide logistic support and assistance in arranging staff training and learning events in Mission and maintain the record.
5. Assist following up with staff and non-staff on any compulsory documents or any other important information needed from staff and non-staff.
6. Assist computation of payments and prepare payment request as needed in HR unit.
7. Draft letters for any purposes as required.
8. Undertake all other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Economy Management, Human Resources or Business Administration, from an accredited academic institution, with one year of relevant working experience, or
• Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience
• Prior work experience in a busy HR office in a similar capacity.
• Good knowledge of Human Resources or Management.
• Familiarity with UN and IOM working environment is a distinct advantage.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Power Point; Good knowledge of information technology;
• Must be well organized, mature individual, able to work independently, paying attention to detail and meets deadlines;
• Must have excellent communication skills; writing skill;
• Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities;
• Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision;
• Strong interpersonal skill and ability to work as part of a diverse team;
• Flexible and able to adapt quickly to new, different environments.
• Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken is required.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: [email protected]
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
From 01.11.2023 to 14.11.2023
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.