Open to both internal and external candidates
Position Title :Project Assistant
Duty Station :Dakar, Sénégal
Category: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of appointment:One Year Fixed Term (12 months with a possibility of extension)
Estimate start date:As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration,works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the chief of mission and the direct supervision of the program coordinator, the project assistant will assist in the implementation and monitoring of project activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Retrieve, compile, summarize, analyse, and present information/data on specific project topics.
- Monitor budget; verify availability of funds; obtain necessary approval and update budget related information.
- Act as focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, etc.
- Draft status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest remedial actions.
- Draft correspondence on project issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentation and other forms of documentation.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records; organize meetings, workshops and training sessions;
- Participate in meetings and conferences; assist in coordinating implementation activities with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Assist in monitoring work of implementing partners and report non-compliances to the supervisor.
- Provides guidance/training to new/junior staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- School diploma with five years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related fields from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- In-depth knowledge of the wide range of migration-related topics covered by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of microfinance processes in Senegal, as well as accreditation requirements for microfinance institutions in Senegal.
- Knowledge on green jobs, specifically on development of the lotus plant reforestation, agri-transformation, ecotourism sectors and typha economic transformation.
- Knowledge on adaptive mechanisms against the adverse effects of climate change, salinization etc.
- Knowledge of non-state mechanisms in Senegal for the incubation of micro and small enterprises and the strengthening of professional and entrepreneurial technical capacities.
- French: Fluent
- Wolof or pulaar: Fluent
- English: working knowledge.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to: [email protected] referring to this advertisement in the subject: “VN-CO-004-2023 – and complete name”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From November 09th, 2023 to November 22nd, 2023