Sightsavers implements projects in over 30 countries in Africa and South Asia working to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. We are looking for a Project Officer to ensure the successful implementation of a new and exciting project across Zambia.
Title: Project Officer
Location: Zambia Country office, Lusaka
Contract: 2 year fixed term contract with possibility of renewal
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
About the role
We are looking for a Project Officer to support the USAID funded Refractive Error and Assistive Technology Community Health (REACH) project and ensure that the project is planned, implemented, coordinated, monitored, evaluated, and adapted to the highest possible quality standards. You will join at an exciting time as the project is expanded and implemented in selected districts, providing improved access to eye care and education across Zambia.
The Project Officer role will involve up to 40% national travel to programme districts to support programme implementation.
Project Officer key duties and accountabilities include:
- Coordinate implementation of activities and sharing of lessons learned
- Manage all aspects of the project cycle with the partners including effective planning, start-up, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, financial and asset management, reporting, documentation, and closeout.
Monitoring Evaluation and Learning
- Ensure high quality and ethical MEL approaches are embedded throughout the project, supporting tool development, Learning and Adaptation
Working with Partners
- Coordinating partner organisations and building effective partner relationships
- Support partners to identify their own technical and organisational capacity building needs and promoting shared learning
Financial & Resource Management
- Monitor expenditure of project financial resources
- Support project partners in the preparation of budgets and forecasts
Information & Communication Management
- Be proactive in providing good quality information on success stories and interesting news stories relating to the project to support preparation of fundraising materials and advocacy materials
- Represent Sightsavers in project-related meetings, and advocate for Sightsavers’ philosophy and policies in the project area
This is a highly varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills. Please see the Job Description for full details.
The Project Officer role would suit an Eye Health or Public Health professional with experience of project implementation who can hit the ground running and is available for extensive national travel.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of Eye Health and / or Public Health
- Knowledge of project design and management, budget development and monitoring, resource management.
- Knowledge of advocacy, research, impact assessment, partnership development and resource mobilisation.
- Experience of working with Government/ NGOs, within the rural context.
- Significant experience implementing projects, including experience of the disability sector and gender mainstreaming.
- Experience providing technical assistance to other organisations.
- Able and available to travel for up to 40% of role
- Knowledge of current issues and best practices in disability, UNCRPD, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and eye health.
- Experience in working with the public-private partnerships and policy environment
- Experience in project monitoring, evaluation, and learning
Closing date: Monday 3 April 2023
How to apply
Please apply using the below link:
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place from mid-April onwards and the evaluation process will include an evaluation task and an in-person interview.
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application via our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested in learning of your motivations for applying.
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Sightsavers is an employer that does not tolerate any form of harassment and has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. All potential candidates will be subjected to rigorous background checks and controls