(Senior) Policy Analyst – IEEP UK
Home based and flexible.
Do you want to use your research and analytical skills to ensure ambitious and
effective environmental policies are developed across the UK? Would you like to help the UK and
EU learn from each other in addressing the environmental crisis?
IEEP UK is looking for an experienced policy analyst with expertise in environmental
and/or climate policy in the UK and / or Europe to play a central role in our small UK
About the organisation
The Institute for European Environmental Policy UK (IEEP UK) is a UK
registered charity and a not-for-profit sustainability think tank, with over 40 years of
experience, based in the UK. As part of the broader IEEP family across Europe, we are dedicated
to working with government, civil society, academia and a range of other stakeholders,
including European, United Nations and other international bodies, civil society, academia,
scientific institutes and business and industry to produce evidence-based research for
impact-driven environmental policy solutions. Our work covers both short-term and long-term
strategic environmental issues in the UK and its constituent nations as well
as their interaction with policy in Europe and globally.
This is an exciting time to join IEEP UK – we have developed a new strategy for the coming
years, striving to grow from a currently small staff, becoming more visible and claiming a
leading role in providing innovative research and policy relevant intelligence. We will shortly
have a new Executive Director to help us do this. In carving out this strengthened role for
itself, the Institute will explore and develop new ways of working on the environmental agenda
for the four UK nations and creating a collaborative and forward-looking relationship with
European and international partners. This is an opportunity for someone dynamic and versatile
to build their skills and knowledge across a range of areas.
Overall role and responsibilities
We are seeking to employ an experienced policy analyst to play a central role in our UK team.
We are looking for a candidate who strives for impact, likes to take initiative and who will
thrive working in a small and dynamic team.
The successful candidate will join a cohesive, impact-oriented and supportive team that is
committed to the professional development of all of its staff, and where the opportunities for
learning and for making a difference are high. Candidates should be able to work in an
intellectually challenging and fast-paced environment and meet firm deadlines. The successful
candidate will contribute to IEEP’s role as a thought leader in UK and EU environmental policy.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate many of the following skills and attributes:
- An interest in, enthusiasm for and knowledge of environmental and / or climate policy in
the UK and / or the EU – having specialist expertise in a particular field would be an asset.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline: for example, political science, environmental
science, environmental economics; a relevant postgraduate degree will be seen as an advantage.
- At least 3 years’ relevant professional experience in the field of environmental or climate
- Strong quantitative, qualitative and / or economic research skills and a corresponding list
of project achievements and/or relevant publications.
- Strong analytical capacity, with the ability to both analyse existing policies, propose
changes to these, and think of novel policy solutions.
- Experience of project management, including budget management and a proven track-record in
task delivery and impact.
- Good communication skills, in particular excellent written and spoken English and the
ability to present information in a clear, concise and accessible style.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and deliver high-quality output with attention to detail.
- As part of a small team you will also need the ability to turn your hand to a variety of
tasks such as communications, project bids, media, events organisations, as well as research.
- Undertaking research, and drafting policy briefings and reports on UK and devolved
environmental policy and how it compares to European policy, along with other outputs such as
blogs and public consultation responses.
- Contributing to the development of policy options to feed into and influence UK
- Maintaining an up-to-date and detailed knowledge of environmental policies at a UK,
devolved nation and European level and a broad overview of how these are implemented.
- Organising, facilitating and participating in workshops, seminars and other events
involving experts in the policy arena.
- Maintaining good relations and building new relations with a variety of external
institutions and clients in the policy making/influencing arena, including government, civil
society and the private sector.
- External representation of IEEP UK at meetings and events.
- Support communication and disseminating activities in this policy area.
- Management of projects including project budgets.
- Developing new project ideas and working with others to secure funding and deliver them
ensuring they deliver the change required.
- Potential line management of junior staff and interns as appropriate.
- Contribute actively to the implementation of Institute-wide decisions and strategy.
Conditions of Employment:
- The contract may be full-time or part-time (minimum 3 days/week) and is offered on a
one-year fixed term contract, with the potential to renew after one year should funding be
- Location: remote – IEEP UK currently has no permanent office space. Therefore, in line with
the whole IEEP UK team, the post will be home-based, with regular travel to London, other parts
of the UK, Brussels and other parts of Europe as required.
- Salary: £35,000 – 40,000 (pro rata).
- Please send your CV and a cover letter, to [email protected], clearly marking the title of the
email: ‘IEEP_UK – SPA’ [YOUR NAME].
- Application deadline: 15 September 2023
- Interviews: Week beginning 18 September 2023
IEEP UK is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes offers from candidates of diverse
backgrounds and relevant experience, respecting best practices in the recruitment process.
For further information on IEEP UK, please visit our website at ieep.uk
 IEEP UK is our trading name – the organisation is registered as
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (ngojobstenders.net) you saw this internship posting.