United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station [Aden -Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the Job:
The Supply Chain Manager – is responsible for leading, coordinating and overseeing DRC logistics and procurement functions across South Yemen programme mainly at the Aden Office but with travel to Mocha and Khokha offices.
- Lead and manage the Area Supply Chain Team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Develop and follow on KPIs for Supply Chain staffs across the South area operation and share the monthly update with line Manager and Area Manager.
- Ensure that all procurement transactions are carried out in a timely manner in accordance with DRC operations hand book and other required donor policies.
- Oversee the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct within the Supply Chain department, ensure that staff in the department fully understand what corruption is and are trained at least once a year on the detail of the Code of Conduct and anti-corruption measures
- Ensure that all Supply Chain department staff in in South /Aden are aware of the correct procedures to ‘whistle-blow’ on corruptive or inappropriate behaviors and/or any other breaches of the DRC Code of Conduct
- Ensure that all suspicions and allegations of corruption are reported immediately,
- In consultation with the Human Resource Department, ensure that a training and professional development plan is developed, and that Annual Reviews are conducted correctly in a timely manner.
Planning and Operation
- Implement sustainable and robust procurement and logistics systems for the efficient and effective delivery in areas of operations following DRC’s Operational Handbook and using DRC Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) computer system. ‘DRC Dynamics’
- Support Project Managers in developing grant-specific procurement plans and ensure all the requirements are consolidated for efficient cost-effective procurement processes.
- Ensure efficient and timely ordering of all items procured to ensure goods and services are available in the area of operation when needed, including transportation and storage facilities up to and including the delivery to point of distribution.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements, rules and regulations relating to DRC Operational Hand Book, local procurement regulations and anti-corruption measures
- Liaise with the Support Services Manager, Area Manager and other thematic managers in areas of operations on all logistical operational functions and issues to ensure well organized rapid delivery of requirements.
- Actively participate and contribute as the DRC representative at Logistics Cluster Meetings in South area of operation.
- Ensure that all Vendors and Service Providers are fully vetted, conform with the DRC Supplier Code of Conduct and are listed on ERP-DRC Dynamics
- Ensure that all contracts are properly managed, renewal dates planned, and payments are processed correctly and in a timely manner
- Ensure that all Donor and DRC Assets are correctly identified, physically labelled, entered, managed and traced on ERP-DRC Dynamics
- Ensure that all DRC Warehouses in South area are managed as per DRC Operations Handbook in an effective and efficient manner. All Stocks are entered, listed and managed on ERP-DRC Dynamics to ensure up-to-date digital stocks records. Ensure that all dead-stock is dealt with promptly and addressed with the relevant Project Managers (PM’s)
- Ensure that all fleet management operations are in line with DRC Operations Handbooks including regular reporting requirements, on a monthly basis.
- Provide support and inputs for new project proposals and budgets as and when requested
- Build procurement and logistics capacity within Supply Chain Team -South /Aden by developing appropriate training plans, ongoing on the job support and onboarding of new staff, including familiarization training for ERP-DRC Dynamics.
- Ensure that all relevant non-supply chain staff Project Managers (PM’s) and Finance staff in particular are trained on Supply Chain procedures and ERP-DRC Dynamics.
- Oversight of Emergency Response – procurement, storage, transport and distribution activities
- Compliance reviews of field offices.
- Management reporting around procurement plans, framework agreements and high-risk areas as applicable.
- Ensure efficient and effective fleet management in cost effective ways demonstrating the best value for money.
- Responsible to ensure that all Supply Chain activities are conducted in accordance with the DRC’s Operations Handbook, Donor Regulations and Local Tendering Law
- Responsible to ensure that recommendations for improvements related to the Supply Chain activities (e.g. from Audits, Compliance Self Check and Results Contract etc.) are acknowledged and implemented in a timely manner
- Responsible to ensure that all allegations of breaches of the Code of Conduct by staff by members of the Supply Chain Team – South/Aden are reported and with the support of CoC/Yemen are investigated and concluded swiftly.
- Works closely with the Support Services Manager to implement, improve and maintain Supply Chain management policies, systems, structures, and procedures within the South Yemen of Operation
- Provide technical support to the field offices-based Supply Chain staff as well as providing leadership to the Supply Chain staff in South Yemen Offices
- Proactively identify and act upon for areas of improvement for Aden Area Supply Chain team, providing training and other capacity-building where necessary to ensure that Supply Chain staffs’ capacity is continuously developed
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure proper training and application of DRC Dynamics Supply Chain processes in the area/field offices
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics Supply Chain system to improve Supply Chain team’s performance
- Assist with any other reasonable task as directed by the Support Services Manager / Area Manage/ CO
- Ability of using DDX inbuilt supply chain dashboard and reports.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or similar that includes Management training.
- Management experience in a highly operational NGO, including field operations experience
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and in writing
- Excellent inter-personal skills and proven ability to converse, negotiate and get along with a wide range of people (internally and externally)
- Ability to adapt to the complex and stressful working conditions of the area of operations and maintain a high work output.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity, adaptability and willingness to travel around Yemen.
- High-level knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Ability/willingness to work with extremely tight deadlines and multiple tasks.
- Willingness to follow security policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Power BI
- Good knowledge on DRC Dynamic system (Desirable).
- Previous working experience in DRC Supply Chain team (Desirable).
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Bachelors/Masters in Supply Chain Management / Procurement Management/ warehousing and inventory management or equivalent recognized qualification/s
- Must be able to speak and write proficiently in both Arabic and English languages.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract until December 2023, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Aden with regular travel to Mocha, Khokha and fields as required.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (F2 Manager) and will be reporting to Support Services Manager.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Females are encouraged to apply for this position.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected]
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact [email protected].
Please note that applications sent directly to [[email protected]] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.